carburator question xr650r,help!

5 replies to this topic
  • DwD

Posted October 29, 2003 - 07:06 AM

Hi Guys!.

Have been checking around on a lots of forum but this one seems to be the best for xr650r owners.
This is my question. I have an xr650r 2003, with open airbox, hi flow air filter, jetting 70s/195, stock carburetor ,needle pin(b53e) 3'e position and Big-Gun Exhaust
and the bike runs well. the only thing i would like to try is a new carburetor(because i think the stock carburettor sucks). i have been looking at Mikuni TM40,Khein FCR41 and Edelbrock.
as i see it when i read reviews is that the edelbrock is the best of them?.

My only problem is that i can’t find a reseller of it in my home country Sweden.
anyone know off an international reseller so that i can order it to Sweden? peferly more than one online shop site.

How is jetting on the edelbrock? As i can read in the reviews there is no jetting, only changes on the needle pin?.
When i order one.. Is there something i should order at the same time so i don’t have any problems when i change carburetor?

is there any bad things with the edelbrock carburetor?,hard to tune in?
the best things with edelbrock is that its smoother and more performance ?

Thanx in advance. :)

Sorry for all the spelling errors :D

• qadsan

Posted October 29, 2003 - 09:12 AM

The Edelbrock met my needs the best, but you'll get great results with either the TM40 or FCR41. I don't think you'll find that one carb is universally better than the other in every respect because they each have their own strengths and weakness, especially when geographics are concerned. The FCR might give you the best top end performance, but it's also the most complicated to properly tune and if you regularly ride in different places where the elevation changes dramatically, then plan to rejet if you want the most from your bike. Sometimes I'm riding at sea level and other times I'm riding at 7,000+ feet so the FCR & TM40 were less attractive to me since the Edelbrock was designed to compensate for changes in altitude.

There's only a couple of adjustments with the Edelbrock. You can change the needle out for a different grind to make a more coarse adjustment to enrichen or lean the mixture. The fine tuning of this special back-cut needle comes from raising or lowering it in precise increments through a clicker adjustment on top of the carb. The accelerator pump also also externally ajustable with a screw and you don't have to remove the carb to make this adjustment. The only other adjustment I'm aware of is the return spring, but that just affects the feel of the throttle. This carb is super easy to adjust/tune compared to a jetted carb, but the Mikuni TM40 is easier to adjust than the FCR.

The Edelbrock carb kit is a complete bolt on kit and comes with everything you need to install it including new throttle cables, a new throttle tube, a larger & smaller needle, etc. It bolts right in without problems. The FCR is a very tight fit into the XR650R, but the TM40 fits in just fine.

If you have the TM40 available locally with good parts support, then I'd be looking at it closer since it's easier to tune than the FCR and its a good performer. If you're looking for the best performer (when properly tuned) and don't mind spending the time modifying & tuning carbs, then take a look at the FCR. I recall reading a post from a guy in Sweden who bought the Edelbrock and loved it. If I can find the link, I'll post it incase you want to contact him for more info.

• qadsan

Posted October 29, 2003 - 09:19 AM

Here's a link to a guy in Sweden that runs a TM40 on his XR650R. Hopefully he's local to you and can offer some more insight.

http://www.thumperta...true#Post103669

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted October 29, 2003 - 09:40 AM

It's my understanding that Bergos has the best prices on TM40's for people in Sweden, but I don't know that for sure. Here's a link that I was given a while back from a different guy who lived in Sweden and he told me this was the best price he could find on a TM40 for his XR650R.

http://www.bergos.de...kat=all&bes_id=

• DwD

Posted October 29, 2003 - 01:31 PM

ok, then i know a little bit more about the carbs, as i have heard about the TM40 is that some guys say that it isnt so good and have return to the stock carburator(mabye wrong jetting =) ),
FCR41 is wery expensive but maybe its a better choise for me?,
i always run my bike at sea level more or less,

is it very hard to fit the fcr41 on the xr650r?
i was thinking to leave my bike at the workshop for tuning anyway.

general witch one has best performance between the TM-40 and edelbrock?

edelbrock compared to tm40 seams to be the better carburator?

tm40 costs 249.00 €
fcr41 costs 739.00 €
edelbrock costs $395.00

you dont know of any site that sells the edelbrock international ?

and have you seen any dynocharts on fcr41 and edelbrock?

thanx for all the answer :)

• qadsan

Posted October 29, 2003 - 03:32 PM

I know Barnums Pro Products sells Edelbrock carb kits internationally and I think they've even sold to Sweden, but I know for sure they've sold to Europe, Canada, Mexico, Australia & Africa. You can email them at sales@barnumspro.com to find out more details. Also, Rob Barnum is a sponsor of ThumperTalk and you can read more about him at this link... http://www.thumpertalk.com/baja1000/

I'm quite happy with the Edelbrock carbs on our XR650R & XR250R. My guess is the person with the TM40 probably didn't have it setup good enough because it's also a good carb, but I'd personally prefer an Edelbrock because it fits my needs better and the bike won't flood if it goes down and always starts right up within a kick or two no matter what. The FCR is another good choice and all the YZF's, WRF's, KTM's, etc, all run the FCR with good results, but if you read those forums you'll find many of those people have to modify their pump circuits to get their FCR's to work better and getting them correctly tuned can be a chore. From what I'm told, the FCR41 hits the tank and the exhaust on the XR650R and you'll have to do some work to make it fit, but I don't have any first hand info on this to know for sure. The dyno charts I saw about 2 years ago that compared these three carbs were all very similar between all 3 carbs on the same bike, but the charts always showed the bike produced a bit less power with the TM40 when compared to the Edelbrock & FCR. When the bike had the FCR installed, it produced the most peak power most of the time (not always), but the Edelbrock was a close 2nd. Don't forget that there are kinds of variables to getting a good dyno reading and the differences between each run could have also been a result of the dyno operator, machine tolerances, tuning, etc. The dyno is a great tool when you want to see how tuning changes or aftermarket parts affect your bike, but it's not the best tool when it comes to comparing one bike or an aftermarket part against another due to all the variables involved.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.