2001 YZ426 Electrical Question

6 replies to this topic
  • mtnadventurerider

Posted June 24, 2012 - 08:00 AM

I just picked up a 2001 YZ426. I want to light and plate it here in Colorado. I have already done this to three other bikes so I have no questions about the process.

I have a question about the output of the stock stator???? I have searched the internet for a good hour and have found nothing.

How many watts is it pushing?

The reason I ask is....these days with LED lights, its a different game on lighting a bike and much less expensive. For instance, I can get an front, LED headlight that is brighter than many of the regular bulbs for less than $100 and it will only pull a max of 3 wats.....yeah, that's right.....only three watts. (as opposed to 35 watts or 55 watts)

Then the rear tail light and break light will only pull a max of 0.3 watts.

So if the stock stator can spare 3.5 watts.....I am good to go, without having to find a WR Stator and fly wheel....or purchase a after-market product.

Another way to ask this question is......how many watts does the spark plug require? ....and what does the stock stator generate? The balance would give me my answer.

I love these new LED's!!!!

• mtnadventurerider

Posted June 27, 2012 - 02:26 PM

Wow.....I really thought someone would have the information on the stock stator, but after over three days and 88 views, not a single reply.

Seriously.....anyone?????

• Baja Designs

Posted June 27, 2012 - 03:08 PM

Wow.....I really thought someone would have the information on the stock stator, but after over three days and 88 views, not a single reply.

Hey
The stock yz426 stator is really not wound to have much extra wattage. You would need to do the wr stator/flywheel conversion to get lights to run properly. Or get a battery pack that can run your lights.
Hope this helps, if you have any questions please feel free to give me a call or pm me
Thanks
Mike
BD
760 560 2252
ext 101

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankie_b_jr

Posted June 27, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I don't have any info about the stator but, the search function on this site works very well usually.

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2012 - 04:37 PM

I don't have any info about the stator but, the search function on this site works very well usually.

It would also have turned up the fact that the YZ stator produces essentially no surplus current at all rather quickly. The WR flywheel/stator swap, or batteries on their own, is the only answer to lighting a YZF.

• mtnadventurerider

Posted September 23, 2012 - 05:25 PM

I opted for a couple of toggle switches and a little 12v battery that is mounted in the air box. This will get me 'passed' by the state patrol and a plate. It will also allow me to ride trails.....just switching on the lights when I need to jump on pavement to connect trails.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• frankie_b_jr

Posted September 23, 2012 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the update.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.