WR450 doing the salsa

5 replies to this topic
  • E4x4Eric

Posted June 23, 2012 - 08:31 PM

My 03 wr450 is doing the salsa dance at 70mph after the new d606 rear tire was installed. I can minimize it if I scoot back toward the rear on the seat. It didn't do this with the kenda rear tire. What could cause this ? Thanks in advance.

• td42ti

Posted June 23, 2012 - 10:28 PM

I think you answered your own question. The d606 is obviously doing it.

I have run d606s for years on my XR400, never had this issue though. The tyre could be out of balance, only noticable at higher speeds.

But if you had no issue with the Kenda and you now do then it has to have something to do with the d606.

• Rocky739

Posted June 24, 2012 - 08:02 AM

OK, I gotta ask.. What is the salsa dance? Sorry I'm a mid-west guy so I guess we don't have that term.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • E4x4Eric

Posted June 24, 2012 - 10:07 AM

OK, I gotta ask.. What is the salsa dance? Sorry I'm a mid-west guy so I guess we don't have that term.

It's like the bike wants to do the death wobble around 70mph. Salsa dancing is mostly a stationary dance, with little movement around the dance floor. Instead, dancers rely on the subtle movement of their legs and upper bodies to convey the energy of the dance.

Edited by E4x4Eric, June 24, 2012 - 10:09 AM.

• Rocky739

Posted June 24, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Haha. Well in that case I've ridden a few bikes that were ready for dancing with the stars! Seems odd a rear tire would do it but...
I usually blame the suspension. I had a KTM with zokie forks once that started shaking, was trash in the valves, cleaned them and fresh oil and problem was fixed.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:33 PM

Perhaps the circumference is different, which changed your steering rake, which is causing the Headshake. Out here in Montana, we call it the "Death Wobble"!

Maniac

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.