Is This Normal?

3 replies to this topic
  • ewr2004

Posted June 23, 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hey Guys,

I was suffering from the infamous water pump issues so I spent the morning changing out my water pump shaft, water seal, oil seal, bearing, and o-ring. Everything is new, all parts installed correctly, new crank case gasket. I added oil & collant and started the bike... and the coolant started leaking from the weep hole (again)! Very discouraging and not making a whole lot of sense to me.

Do the new seals need a few heat cycles first before they seat correctly? Is there something else i'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

• new2it400

Posted June 23, 2012 - 06:17 PM

theres a guy on here called (maniac) hes a wizard and i am priitty sure he will have some answers for you, try finding him to ask your questions,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • allterra

Posted June 24, 2012 - 07:48 AM

there are 3 issues I keep hearing
1. wear on the pump shaft...ie grooves
2.seal put in backwards ..if I'm not mistaken the spring faces the impeller
3. pinched or unlubed seals.,
also note that if you lay the bike down you wont need to change the oil
I hope you find your answers and all works out.

• Rocky739

Posted June 24, 2012 - 07:54 AM

No not normal.. Sounds like you did everything correct.. I bet a seal got nicked going together, pull back apart and check for burrs or nicks on shaft and sand with fine sandpaper if needed, then replace seal making double sure its in the correct way with dab of grease wiped on lips of seals..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.