Rear wheel play in between bearing and Hub?

6 replies to this topic
  • mxer928

Posted June 23, 2012 - 12:21 PM

I just replaced the rear wheel bearings on my 06 yz 250 and noticed that there is a little play between the bearing and Hub wall? Is this normal on these bikes?

Thanks

• mikeylikesit

Posted June 23, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Sounds like your old outer race was spinning and eating away at the hub. If the new bearings don't fit tight I would take it to a bearing shop and have them measure the hub and axle for new bearings that fit.

• MX Tuner

Posted June 24, 2012 - 09:09 AM

I've had good luck using green Loc-Tite, the stud and bearing mount. Install the bearing, drop a few drops in around the outer race and let it sit overnight. Well worth that rather than buying a new hub/wheel.

• USED YZ426F

Posted June 24, 2012 - 09:21 AM

There should be no play. If there is you have a problem with either the hub or bearing.

• Kurlon

Posted June 27, 2012 - 06:43 AM

It's not normal, as noted. On my 92 the rear hub was trashed enough that I had to use feeler gauge strips wrapped around the outer race to take up the slop, plus green loctite bearing retainer. When these bearings wear out I'll have to shop for new wheels. So far it's holding up ok though...

• GCannon

Posted June 27, 2012 - 02:30 PM

I think this is a common problem and I belive it stems from the hub being made from soft material. I have this problem on my 02 WR. I have used a punch to peen the bearing surface in the hub and then use the locktite bearing retainer compund as stated above. it held for a while.

On a more positive note i have experience the same (small) amount oof play in the rear wheel bearing for for more than 5 years now on the WR whiuch may equate to .10,000 miles.

The problem is the single rear wheel bearing on the chanin drive side. This is where the biggest loads are concentrated. The WR is much heavier than my YZ 250 so maybe it is more if a WR problem but I belive they share the same hub.

My only advice is to keep using it and watch it carefully if the play stays the same don't worry but if it increases (with good Bearings) then you will need a new hub or wheel.

• GCannon

Posted June 27, 2012 - 02:32 PM

Does'nt Honda use two bearings and a lock ring on the drive side rear hub?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Apparently this is the 2015 yz250 by Red Dirt Ryan

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  63 replies
Forums
Photo

85 or 150? by drzrider04

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 6 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 250 Front End Woes... by aled

• Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

Bottom End by wyattedwards250

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

bike for female rider? by rhii108

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.