New DirtRider issue kills the 2012 WR450

20 replies to this topic
  • Bandit9

Posted June 23, 2012 - 06:20 AM

They didn't have much good to say about our new WR in the 450 off road shoot out.

• BFox

Posted June 23, 2012 - 08:58 AM

Paint it orange and their opinion might be slightly different.I line my bird cage with it and only have a subscription because of some fund raising deal through one of my kids school. Keep The Magazine

• tomerb

Posted June 23, 2012 - 10:07 AM

Didn't they say the clutch in the KTM burnt up from trying to pull start the Yamaha all the time?

• BFox

Posted June 23, 2012 - 11:30 AM

Didn't they say the clutch in the KTM burnt up from trying to pull start the Yamaha all the time?

Why arent you out flogging your fabulous new Honda and leave us proud new WR owners alone??

• tomerb

Posted June 23, 2012 - 11:41 AM

I'll be flogging my fabulous new Yamaha WR450 today and my new fabulous Honda CRF450 on Sunday, And my super duper 2009 Metropolitan 50cc in between. Whats your weekend looking like?

Edited by tomerb, June 23, 2012 - 11:44 AM.

• td42ti

Posted June 23, 2012 - 01:13 PM

Was it uncorked? I know people argue that shootouts should be "as delivered" but if the factory is meeting emissions in different ways then it is not really a relavent comparison.

• BFox

Posted June 23, 2012 - 01:34 PM

I'll be flogging my fabulous new Yamaha WR450 today and my new fabulous Honda CRF450 on Sunday, And my super duper 2009 Metropolitan 50cc in between. Whats your weekend looking like?

Not to good.Gotta keep the oil flowing from northern Alberta down to our southern neighbours.But next weekend when I'm back home in lower mainland BC I'll be riding on some of the best single track around.Come up sometime.

• protondecay123

Posted June 23, 2012 - 04:16 PM

I find it curious that they called the WR "twitchy" on the throttle and then raved about the YZ250 2 smoke. These guys are journalists they don't have to put up with maintenance and ownership issues. They just ride.

• Stealth13

Posted June 23, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Not to good.Gotta keep the oil flowing from northern Alberta down to our southern neighbours.But next weekend when I'm back home in lower mainland BC I'll be riding on some of the best single track around.Come up sometime.

You ever ride Invermere ? Been there a few times this year

• BFox

Posted June 24, 2012 - 06:11 AM

You ever ride Invermere ? Been there a few times this year

No.Been to Duffy Lake/Greenstone Mountain south of Kamloops but never anywhere in the Kootenays.Its probably awesome though

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Spanky

Posted June 24, 2012 - 06:17 AM

They didn't have much good to say about our new WR in the 450 off road shoot out.

And MXA loved the new WR450F. :devil:

While I enjoy reading magazine tests, I don't give their "conclusions" much credence at all.

• Chas_M

Posted June 24, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Paint it orange and their opinion might be slightly different.I line my bird cage with it and only have a subscription because of some fund raising deal through one of my kids school. Keep The Magazine

While I enjoy reading magazine tests, I don't give their "conclusions" much credence at all.

That's all well and good however it's hard to deny the fact that the orange bike is so much lighter than all of the other bikes.

• Rocky739

Posted June 24, 2012 - 07:36 AM

More paper has been wasted on "shootouts" than anything else that I can think of.. Just wait and they will do a "test" on a moded WR and say its awesome.. Kinda a boring pattern I've noticed over the years, yawn.
Place in the ranks has more to do with ad space than actual performance of bike, and I'm not even a conspircy theory kinda guy.
Buy what you like and be happy with it

• allterra

Posted June 24, 2012 - 07:57 AM

My Question is:..Is Yamaha the only manufacture that has the production bike so restricted out of the crate? When you are riding two manufactures bikes out of the box are you getting a fair evaluation?

• Bandit9

Posted June 24, 2012 - 08:06 AM

What I have noticed worldwide, is that when tested by it'self, it does really well b/c the testers are comparing it to the 07-11 model. However when it gets tested in a shootout, the weight and the stiff clutch lever pull all seem to put it towards to rear.

If Yamaha starts racing it and winning a bit, in GNCC, HH, and Enduro, they would sell a bunch.

What is the deal with the clutch??? My 06 and 09 have easy to pull clutch lever, but 2012 with the same clutch is stiffer?

Why?

• The Spanky

Posted June 24, 2012 - 08:10 AM

That's all well and good however it's hard to deny the fact that the orange bike is so much lighter than all of the other bikes.

What does that have to do with what I said? :devil:

I made no comments on the merits or demerits of the bikes, just that I don't take any magazine shootouts as gospel.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Chokey! I love your signature!!!

Maniac

• The Spanky

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Chokey! I love your signature!!!

Maniac

Don't make me kill you...

:devil:

• MANIAC998

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:50 PM

If you saw the way I ride, you'd swear that I can't be killed!!!! :devil:
Maniac

• The Spanky

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:54 PM

If you saw the way I ride, you'd swear that I can't be killed!!!! :devil:
Maniac

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.