Come out and race the Vegas 200 with me!!!

15 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 28, 2003 - 06:41 PM

Best in the Desert will be hosting their last event of the year, the "Vegas 200" on December 6th, a Saturday.. The course is a 75 mile loop, three times around. For me it will decide who gets the number one plate in the Ironman class.. For you it would be an expierence of a lifetime. If you've ever wanted to race desert, this event is for you. You could sign up for a team race (most people do) so that you and a buddy share a bike and take turns on the easy course or ride the whole race by yourself, the choice is yours. Remember you're in Vegas, when the race is over you'll be crankin' beers and playing Black jack or Roulette like my brother and I do... I have the best pit crew you could ask for bar none, all at your disposal, my Dad knows bikes like the back of his hand and is ready to fix anything, my brother is a gas Mo-sheen (more ways than one)!!!! :D All you need to do is show up with new tires on your bike and a few hundred dollars and you're golden.... If you've ever wanted to race desert but didn't know how to go about it, this race is for you... The course is marked soooo well!! Almost every rock is marked with caution sign, all turns have warning signs to get ready to turn... It's a beautiful thing to ride across the Nevada landscape aboard your bike with the wind in your face.. You'll be rubbing elbows and racing with Johnny Campbell, Destry Abbott, Russ Pearson, David Pearson, Brian Brown, Kurt Caselli, Joey Lanza, Paul Krause, LR, and my favorite nice guy Shane Esposito......(He and Destry will win, trust me) and many,many more. This is a big event with a huge turn out..... Cars and trucks will race on their own course at the same time... whew... The time is now!!!

If any of my brothers are interested let me know... I'll help you out and walk you through the process..

Last years race: My dad with Glen Helen 24hr Ironman winner Rick Daniel, Last year he got the #1 plate, I got #2.. He makes most guys look like Alice from the Brady Bunch..
Posted Image

Here's my brother, a school pricipal with one sweet WR250f, at the last minute he decided to sign up for some fun in the Ironman Amateur class and ended up winning the class, he came home with a big trophy and some parts for his bike.. I'm so proud of him..... This could be you!!
Posted Image

For more info go to www.BITD.com, Vegas 200

Dan :)

• huskyrider

Posted October 28, 2003 - 07:00 PM

Damn that sounds sweet.
How come everytime you or some other TT'rs make offers like this I've got something going on with my business.
If I wasn't going to Maui for a swimming pool convention the first week of December I'd of surely taken you up on it.
I'd enjoy riding an event like this and meeting you.
You've always been a true enthusiast. One who's willing to help out a fellow racer and share his passion for the sport with others. We need more good guys like yourself.
Usually the fast guys have big heads!!!
I'll think about you guys while I'm riding Harleys in Maui.
Now if I can just find a TT'r over there to rent me a spare bike and do some trailguiding I'll be in hog heaven.
Have fun, stay safe, and tell us how it feels to know you'll be wearing that #1 plate in your class next year after the race.
I look forward to the pics.
See Ya,
Kelly

• endurodog

Posted October 28, 2003 - 07:21 PM

Dan I'm not gonna be able to make it to one this year, but I sure hope I can get a rain check on it some time in the near future. Good luck with your #1 chase!!! Go get'm

• crushedreams

Posted October 28, 2003 - 08:55 PM

Im goin to glamis for Thanksgiving. That would be an easy trip. I would love to race that. Do they Db. test? How much is it? Im gettin excited here.
Josh

• Hick

Posted October 28, 2003 - 09:39 PM

Best in the Desert will be hosting their last event of the year, the "Vegas 200" on December 6th, a Saturday..

You are too generous.

I think that is the same weekend as that Whiplash race to Rocky Point. Hmmmm... :)

Also, if I ironman 200 miles I doubt I'll be in a very festive mood once it's over (provided I survive). It may take me a week just to get back home.

I'm thinking very hard about it. Deadlines? Fees? BITD membership? Getting a number? (okay, I'll check the website).

What would you predict for your total race time Dan? Maybe 50 mph? A bit slower? Just trying to get a handle on the terrain/gearing/pucker-factor.

Cars and trucks will race on their own course at the same time... whew...

You can say that again.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 29, 2003 - 09:17 AM

Do they Db. test? How much is it? Im gettin excited here.

They could care less about green stickers or sound levels.. It's a closed course that BITD payed for. The BLM is there just to make sure that nobody parks their vehicles where their not suppose to, and have pit passes.

Membership is 25.00, the race is 225.00 for Ironman class and a bit more for a team (you'de split the entry). Usually Pro-Circuit or KTM has a huge after party at the Suncoast hotel in Vegas (summerlin) and the awards are held that night, they do it that way so that it gives you plenty of time to drive home..

What would you predict for your total race time Dan? Maybe 50 mph? A bit slower? Just trying to get a handle on the terrain/gearing/pucker-factor.

Hick, although you do hit speeds much higher than 50 at times, the course does have a lot of sections that you'll be going 30 or less.. So I think I'll average maybe 35 to 40mph. I believe last year my lap times were around 1 hour 45 minutes. The terrain is a mix of dirt roads,powerline roads,siltbeds and some single track sandwash stuff. The course is really fun and easy to ride on, the only problem that'll you'll probabaly have is getting tired.. It takes a lot of energy just to finish these reces. If all goes well, I plan on having a Coors Light by noon or so.. :)

This is one of the few races for BITD that has only one central pit (they will have an alternate pit, but won't be nessesary (s?) ). You won't have to get anyone to drive all around Nevada to give you gas.. We set up the pits at 5:30am and we're done with it..

• galant2nr

Posted October 29, 2003 - 09:21 AM

This sounds like a ton of fun. I should make the trip down from Reno to do this.. HMMMM???

• crushedreams

Posted October 29, 2003 - 05:05 PM

Im IN. Hell ya. Im takin 3 yamie 450's to the dunes and will race my bike in either ironman or team, depending on my buddy.

All you need to do is show up with new tires on your bike and a few hundred dollars and you're golden....

I'm guessing a few hundred bucks is for the "team support" from you padre and brother? Do I need to bring gas tanks full of super nitro jet fuel? Thanks Dan for the opportunity and for bearing with me.
Josh

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MadMarche

Posted October 29, 2003 - 09:32 PM

I have to say that Dan is the man! He is the only mf'r that I know who can ride 1000 miles in 3 days and still party after the third day of riding!!!!!!!! :D :) This guy is truly RAD!! Good luck Dan!!

• Hick

Posted October 29, 2003 - 11:12 PM

The course is really fun and easy to ride on, the only problem that'll you'll probabaly have is getting tired.. It takes a lot of energy just to finish these reces.

Duh. :)

Does it get whooped out at all?

Realistically I don't see myself doing very well in my current state of conditioning. Do you work out? Are you some kind of freak of nature? Five hours at race pace? Does the word "masochism" apply here at all? Let's be honest Dan!! :D

I'm probably good for a hard 2 to 3 hours (pushing it, maybe even barfing at the end), depending on the whoopage. I wish I was in better shape.

The entry fee seems steep, but I guess you get what you pay for.

You are the man, and I'm still thinking about it....

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 30, 2003 - 06:15 AM

Does it get whooped out at all?

Realistically I don't see myself doing very well in my current state of conditioning. Do you work out? Are you some kind of freak of nature? Five hours at race pace? Does the word "masochism" apply here at all? Let's be honest Dan!!

Hick, Whoops are the last thing you need to worry about, there are some, infact I remember there's a section of whoops for about one mile, there're really big ones spaced about 15 feet apart, those will beat the crap out of you :D, I stay as far to one side as possible as they seem to be smaller. But for the most part the whoops are NOT a big part of the course. I don't work out except I ride motocross once a week, I'll ride 3 or 4 10 lap heats, or when I get tired and start to make mistakes I'll pull it in.. I'm no freak of nature either, I'm 37 and have carry a few extra pounds around with me. I do realize that if I lifted weights it would help out. In Desert racing you do get to rest sometimes, not like Motocross where you must give it 100% all the time. Most older guys like us have more riding experience than younger guys that are in better shape, so we kind of have an advantage being older and wiser. Also, you shouldn't worry about doing good, you should just have a good time and finish the race, you'll feel so good when it's over, there are cameras all over the course taking photos of you so you can remember your race for years to com. BITD starts the race the same for every event, one at a time. Pros go first in one minute intervals and everyone else goes 30 seconds apart, no bomb run, no fighting to the first corner, but after the dust dies down after the start you'll have clean air in front of you and you'll basically be riding by yourself with no one around you for the rest of the race, until you get lapped by Destry Abbott or Shane Esposito :D

Josh, bring gas cans, we'll get gas the night before the race. If you run race gas they sell it there but I just use the crap on the corner. :D

Marche, you're the crazy one here!! YZ450?? On the street?? I wanna party with you cowboy. :D :D :D :)

• BigDesto

Posted October 30, 2003 - 10:21 AM

aRE YOU RIDING THIS WEEKEND???where??

• Hick

Posted October 30, 2003 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for replying to all the questions Dan.

Just FYI but I'm only 2 yrs younger than you, I don't moto, off-road only, and it looks like we ride as often, but like you said your experience is an advantage. I'm used to many, many miles of whoops. Just one mile would be like a vacation. I've raced similar events before, terrain and speed-wise, and agree about the "resting," but am used to being greeted by more whoops, like the kind the cars and trucks make on a well-used portion of the race course.

Moto-sized or car-sized, they all suck the energy out of you, you are just in a taller gear when they are spaced wider and smoother.

..you'll feel so good when it's over..

Sort of like banging your head against the wall, huh? :)

Still thinking hard...

• MiniMadMan50

Posted October 30, 2003 - 03:27 PM

This race does sound cool, but I don't want to spend over 200 dollars to race it.. And I'd be riding on a mostly stock WR426 (with a stock volume Clarke tank). On top of the entry fee, I'd need to buy new sprockets and a new chain before hand, cause my sprockets are on their last leg. It sounds like it would be a blast though. I've never raced before, but I've always wanted to. I'll just have to wait for the next BITD race to roll around :)

• crushedreams

Posted October 31, 2003 - 06:17 PM

I looked over the bitd website and came up with nothing. Can I pay for the bitd membership at the race, or do I have to get one beforehand?
Josh

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 01, 2003 - 11:33 AM

aRE YOU RIDING THIS WEEKEND???where??

Mike, I'm taking this weekend off... But now that it's cooler maybe my friends will want to ride again.. I'm good for next weekend.... Let me know.......

Josh, You can just show up... That's what I do! I like to start in last place, when you pre-enter all you gain is a better start position.. Big deal... you have 200 miles to catch up and it's on adjusted time, if you start 3 minutes behind the winner and he beats you by only beats you by 2 you still win... :)

Press release:
Las Vegas "200" Press Release

"Showdown In The Desert"

Las Vegas, Nevada - The Best In The Desert Racing Association is getting ready for the last race of the 2003 "Silver State Series." The Las Vegas "200" is almost here! Saturday, December 6, 2003, the off-road race community will have the opportunity to race on a loop course, the 4th annual Las Vegas "200"! The Las Vegas "200" will also feature a separate racecourse for the Motorcycle & Quad community and a separate racecourse for the Car & Truck community! The Motorcycle & Quad race community will race a 65-mile loop three times and the Car & Truck community will race a 75-mile loop three times. This is a different format than the other "Silver State Series" races but Casey Folks always finds a way to create something new. "I like to create different racecourses and give the racers a variety of challenges. During my racing career I preferred long distance, endurance types of races, and that is what I have tried to create in Best In The Desert, but after the first Las Vegas "200" course change we ended up with a loop race with one central pit and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. The racers loved it and the pit crews loved it. I got a lot of comments from everyone about how much they liked watching the Motorcycles & Quads race and also the Motorcycle & Quad community stayed around and watched the Car & Truck race! I try to offer a race series with variety and this has worked out for everyone, people enjoy coming to Las Vegas and the Las Vegas "200" has become a very popular event," says Folks.
Last year's top winners in the Open Pro Motorcycle Class were Destry Abbott and Shane Esposito in 4:21:06, in the Quad Pro Class, 1st Place winners were Doug Eichner and William Yokley in 5:06:47. In the Car & Truck Division 1st place and overall winners were Damen Jefferies and Casey Jefferies in 4:14:40, and in the 1500 Unlimited Class the winners were Gary Weyhrich and Mark Weyhrich in 4:25:38.

Since this is the last race of the 2003 "Silver State Series" it also means that this race is critical as far as the year-end points championships go. Some of the close points races to watch are in the Open Pro Class between Destry Abbot/Shane Esposito (220 pts), riding for Kawasaki Team Green and Johnny Campbell/Steve Hengeveld, (204 pts), riding for American Honda. In the Quad Pro Class it is a close race between three teams, Wayne Matlock/Danny Prather (211 pts) and Doug Eichner/John Gregory (206 pts pts) and Jimmy Stephensen/Michael Cafro (199 pts), just remember, anything can happen to change these Championship Titles on Saturday, December 6, 2003!

In the Car & Truck Division the close races are in the 1400 Class between Kyle Taylor/Smokey McKeil (169 pts) and Darren Skilton (148 pts). The 1200 ProTruck Class is always exciting to watch and this year is no different. It will be a battle to the end with only a 3 point difference between Rick L. Johnson (140 pts) and John Becker (137 pts). There is only a 12 point difference in the 1500 Class between Mary Weyhrich/Gary Weyhrich (186 pts) and Chuck Hovey (174 pts.) In the 8000 Class Curt LeDuc is leading with a slight margin with (135 pts) and Keith Moore (129 pts), a 6 point difference. The Las Vegas "200" race not only means a lot to the racers vying for a Championship, but to all of the race teams that have raced the entire "Silver State Series" and fought with blood, sweat and tears just to get to the finish! It isn't an easy sport, but it is a sport that provides a great deal of pride for the racers when they see that checkered flag!

An exciting aspect of the Las Vegas "200" racecourse is that it is going to be "spectator" friendly! The racecourse is designed to have one central pit, and one alternate pit for MC/Q, and two alternate pits for C/T, easy for pitting and easy for spectating! Spectating has been approved by the Bureau of Land Management and it should be a fun day! Spectators will not need a Pit Pass to get in to the designated Pit Areas.

The Host Hotel for the Las Vegas "200" is the beautiful Suncoast Hotel, off of US-95 at the Summerlin exit in Las Vegas. Registration, Technical Inspection and Contingency will be held Friday, December 5, 2003, from 10am to 5pm. On Saturday, the Las Vegas "200" starts and finishes near the Jean exit, off of I-15 South. The Motorcycles, Quads, Cars and Trucks all start at approximately 7 am.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
BEST IN THE DESERT 3475 Boulder Highway, Las Vegas, NV 89121
(702) 457-5775, fax (702) 641-2431
bitd@worldnet.att.net

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.