All Balls Head Bearings are different size?

6 replies to this topic
  • jwnmj1987

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hello all,

I purchased a set of All Balls Bearings for my 2008 YZ 250 F part number 22-1001. The lower bearings are the right size physically with the race and all, but the spindles/bearings themselves are smaller than OEM. Does this sound right? The upper bearings are the same?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwnmj1987

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

Sorry,

I should have mentioned they were steering head bearings.

• J_YZ2fittyF

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

I am trying to recall, but when i did mine in my 01 WR250, which is the same kit, put the wrong race in the wrong side of the neck, lol. Then had to beat it out carefully. So there is definitely a difference. Not having worked on a bike in years, I just went under the assumption they were the same, and they aren't. The lowers inner race is slightly larger to fit over the taper shaft for a press fit. The top just plops over the shaft easily. Also I remember something with the way the lower bearing fit into the race, there needed to be a lil bit of a ledge for the dust seal to fit around and close up the bottom a bit better. With the uppers dust seal this does not fit together well....again I am straining to remember exactly what I thought was off, ultimately...i got it done and its fine.

Did you compare the inside dimensions of the races?

Don't forget when you put it back together to put the dust seal on first on the bottom, LOL!

I would also throw the races in the freezer for a bit before you go to put them in...a driver set makes it a ton easier to get a good safe hit on em, but not an absolute need. Again this is where freezing them helps...then heating the inner edge of the stem. Can use propane, not sure how much propane heat helps, but its safe'ish.

Not sure if you'd done em before is all. I'd also suggest taking the lower to a buddy with a press to put the lower on...or a shop if theyll do it cheap. But if you must find a pipe to fit down over the shaft that fits nicely on the rim of the INNER race to beat it down with, and set it down in such a way that a piece of metal or something very hard fits between the fork tube clamps because the shaft is only in there by pressure. So beating on the bearing may possibly move the shaft instead down in the lower triple...just something I tried to do, not sure if its a must as far as which will move first...I don't do enough of them to find out....and I also used a press...which 100x easier then doing it with a pipe and hammer

Edited by J_WR2fitty, 22 June 2012 - 04:10 PM.

• jwnmj87

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Wow, thanks for the great reply! Yes, the I.D. and O.D. dimensions are correct. And, the heigth is correct. However, since the tapered bearings are smaller, the bearing has almost what I would say is a manufactured in spacer? So, although the heigth is correct, the OEM actual bearings were longer, while the All Balls bearings are shorter and incorporate a larger body (spacer) into the design.

And yes, I watched all of the youtube videos using a dremmel to cut off the lower race. Tried it - didn't work. I am too nervous about cutting into the stem. Wll bring it to a shop tomorrow. However, I'm still wondering if the bearing is the correct size.

Thanks

• J_YZ2fittyF

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yea just take them the whole kit, and if they can press the old one off, its simple to just press new one on. At that time they will determine if there is a problem. It is super easy to do with a press. What they do is press the stem down through the bottom triple, and the bearing then moves "up" the stem until it frees up. I did mine with a buddies press...and it was so easy, lol. We tried cutting it off, but the triple got nicked. Which pissed me off, lol. Never doing it like that again.

• mog

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Yes the needle bearings are smaller than std buy they work fine

• shockdoc

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

Wow, thanks for the great reply! Yes, the I.D. and O.D. dimensions are correct. And, the heigth is correct. However, since the tapered bearings are smaller, the bearing has almost what I would say is a manufactured in spacer? So, although the heigth is correct, the OEM actual bearings were longer, while the All Balls bearings are shorter and incorporate a larger body (spacer) into the design.

And yes, I watched all of the youtube videos using a dremmel to cut off the lower race. Tried it - didn't work. I am too nervous about cutting into the stem. Wll bring it to a shop tomorrow. However, I'm still wondering if the bearing is the correct size.

Thanks

Where are you located? If you are near Daytona or Orlando give me a call if you still need help. My shop is in Deland.

doc

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Showa TC by farfromhome63

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  37 replies
Forums
Photo

2011 450 sxf rear end seems low by shift1313

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  26 replies
Garage 2_8f00e0b45ce0e02fd2f891772f2de4b8.jpg

Race Tech Fork Springs by 92rmx250

Suspension Fork Springs Race Tech Fork Springs

Forums
Photo

offset vs shimsing by lappenator

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  65 replies
Reviews

Ohlins ttx cartridges by bobbyfoxx

Suspension Fork Cartridge Kits Ohlins ttx cartridges, Brand Ohlins
  • 1 review
  • Last review by bobbyfoxx
  • On 09 April 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.