Seized intake cam on 06 yz 450

7 replies to this topic
  • sandrider306

Posted June 21, 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hey guys any input greatly appreciated im familiar with the yz 4strokes top ends but when it comes to the bottoms is where I find it difficult my question is with the intake cam seizing do I need to split the cases and check the crank the bike had 131 hrs on it surprisingly I did usual inspection no up and down free play on the crank no piston free play I haven't drained the oil yet to view the oil screen . I'm replacing the head cylinder piston cams chain pretty much the whole top end basically am I in the clear from splitting the cases thanks you guys for all the input

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2012 - 07:13 AM

You normally wouldn't need to do anything with the crank as a result of the intake seizure unless there was significant contact between the piston and valves that would make you suspect damage to the rod or big end bearing. Have the head repaired, replace the chain and tensioner, and carry on.

• sandrider306

Posted June 22, 2012 - 07:48 PM

Yeah I didn't see any marks on the top of the piston I need a new head I don't know if any machine shop can redo the journals for the cams also I'm getting the cylinder works big bore kit should the stock crank be ok for it thanks gray for your input

• sacfelix

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:10 PM

I had the same thing happen on a buddies 06 YZ450 so I took the head to Engine Dynamics in Petaluma, Ca (707)763-7519 and they recut the cam journals. I had the head back by the end of the week and paid $90. His web site is enginedynamics.com. Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2012 - 11:59 AM

I had the same thing happen on a buddies 06 YZ450 so I took the head to Engine Dynamics in Petaluma, Ca (707)763-7519 and they recut the cam journals. I had the head back by the end of the week and paid $90. His web site is enginedynamics.com. Hope this helps.

Engine Dynamics can fix your head way cheaper than you can buy one for.

• sandrider306

Posted June 23, 2012 - 03:28 PM

Ok thanks guys I'll call them hey do you think I need a different crank for the big bore I'm getting

• BBrown626

Posted June 24, 2012 - 06:54 AM

An '06 with 130 hours! That is pretty low.

What causes the cam to seize? those journals should be getting plenty of oil. Bad bearing?

• sandrider306

Posted June 24, 2012 - 07:24 AM

When i took the head apart it had oil in the head I think he didn't tork the cam cap and the cam shifted and scared the inside of the head I'll take pics of it and post it on here

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.