NEW 2012 450 FIRST IMPRESSIONS

21 replies to this topic
  • tomerb

Posted June 21, 2012 - 03:37 PM

I picked up a new 2012 today and all I can say is wow!! If fires up instantly with the electric start, the seat is softer and a little wider than my 2011 WR 450 and with good grip also, much better!! No mid-range stutter at all,(my 2011 sucks) the seat height is a little lower and I'm 6'0" and can get my feet flat on the ground. I really like how quiet my new 450 motor is, no loud rattling and clunking like my 2011 WR450 has. It sounds like a completely different motor!! I just noticed that there's no throttle stop screw keeping it from getting full throttle, I wonder why? Its still corked up but its still much quicker than my 2011 was when it was new and corked up . I'll have my hand guards, skid plate, air filter, new grips and other miscellaneous do dads tomorrow and my Z- Start Pro next Wednesday. I have the Z-start Pro in my 2011 and love it!! I guess my son will park the 2012 WR 250 and get to ride my 2011 450 ( he loves the Rekluse also) and dad will get to ride the 2012 450. I'll uncork it tonight so when we go riding Saturday it will be ready to rip. I see now that I should have got a 2012 450 to begin with but I guess we all make mistakes from time to time. Well enough about my 2012 450 till I get some seat time on it and tweak on the suspension some. If anyone is thinking about getting a new left over 2011 or a new 2012 I would highly recommend the the 2012 honda over the 2011 WR 450 for sure, or for that matter a new 2012 WR450. I've had 25 new Yamaha's over the years and only two other honda's and I think this one will be special. Quiet motor, lower stand over, softer wider seat, bright "red", quick starts, on mixing of tranny oil with motor oil, no ignition switch to forget to turn off and run down the battery, aluminum rear sprocket, better placement for the coolant recovery tank, easy to get to AIS removal, wing nut holding air filter in place, did I say pretty red color? I sure hope it handles as good as my WR450 I really like that bike, but for right now I LOVE my new red honda and i hope I still do after I take my first ride. I've been a Yamaha guy for years,

Edited by tomerb, June 21, 2012 - 06:17 PM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 21, 2012 - 04:59 PM

What do we think.... We think you got a lot of stuff going on in your mine.

We also think you got confused and meant to post this in the Honda forum, not the wr450 forum.

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:08 PM

What do we think? You recommend the 2012 Honda over the new WR, did you own the new WR450? The reviews I read clearly rated the new WR over the old school Honda. You mentioned the honda not having the throttle stop screw, it's probably easier to remove than the AIS since the WR has none. Rejetting is a thing of the past now with the WR and the money you save buying a WR over a Honda can get you "uncorked". I'm happy that you like the color red over blue because that's the only thing you could say was better than the WR, if that's your favorite color.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 21, 2012 - 06:23 PM

Troll

• tomerb

Posted June 21, 2012 - 06:36 PM

More bad news for Yamaha. Dirt Rider's 450 off road shoot out just came in the mail. Out of the seven test riders six of them said the 2012 WR450 came in last place the last tester said it was only next to last. The bigest complante was it was very hard to start and if it was real cold out it would not start. Also said it would often run hot and had detonation. The KTM came in first, Honda second, Beta third, and Yamaha last.

• tomerb

Posted June 21, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Troll

What part is not true??

• MANIAC998

Posted June 21, 2012 - 06:51 PM

I didn't say that any of it wasn't true. All I said was "Troll". As in, you venture over here in the Yamaha forum, and tell us how great your Honda is. This in my book means your looking to start trouble. I haven't ridden any of the newer bikes, so can't comment on how good they are or aren't. But rest assured, if I ride the new Yamaha, I won't venture over to the Honda forum and start telling them how great the Yamaha is! It's just bad manners.
Maniac

• tomerb

Posted June 21, 2012 - 09:24 PM

"Rejetting is a thing of the past now with the WR and the money you save buying a WR over a Honda can get you "uncorked".

I looked all over for a 2012 WR450 and the best deal I found was 7500 plus tax. I got the Honda for 6200 plus tax and had some jets to rejet with in the tool box. So it was probably cheaper than the Yamaha competition ECU and the programer. I don't see how the Yamaha could have been cheaper than the Honda.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 21, 2012 - 09:38 PM

"Rejetting is a thing of the past now with the WR and the money you save buying a WR over a Honda can get you "uncorked".

I looked all over for a 2012 WR450 and the best deal I found was 7500 plus tax. I got the Honda for 6200 plus tax and had some jets to rejet with in the tool box. So it was probably cheaper than the Yamaha competition ECU and the programer. I don't see how the Yamaha could have been cheaper than the Honda.

Oh behalf of the wr450 forum, I would just like to say...

None of us here really give a shit about, nor want to hear about your Honda...

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 21, 2012 - 09:43 PM

More bad news for Yamaha. Dirt Rider's 450 off road shoot out just came in the mail. Out of the seven test riders six of them said the 2012 WR450 came in last place the last tester said it was only next to last. The bigest complante was it was very hard to start and if it was real cold out it would not start. Also said it would often run hot and had detonation. The KTM came in first, Honda second, Beta third, and Yamaha last.

Well... if they reviewed my 05 wr450 today, they would say it sucks too. But I still love it!

Here is the video...

While some bikes do review better than others, the worst bike of this bunch is still an awesome bike!

http://www.dirtrider...els-episode-10/

Edited by mauricedorris, June 22, 2012 - 06:07 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Navaho6

Posted June 22, 2012 - 06:07 AM

Same 4 bikes in this comparison. Beta 1st, KTM 2nd, Yamaha 3rd, Honda 4th.

http://www.motorcycl...o-Shootout.aspx

For me, handling and suspension is the single most important characteristic of a bike. The Yamaha was the only bike to score a perfect 10 in this category. The riders complained that the Honda frame transmitted too many engine vibes and put their hands to sleep. That's the reason I sold my last bike.

You could assemble 10 teams of riders to critique these bikes and would get 10 different outcomes.

Edited by Navaho6, June 22, 2012 - 06:07 AM.

• trailhead2004

Posted June 22, 2012 - 07:44 AM

I picked up a new 2012 today and all I can say is wow!! If fires up instantly with the electric start, the seat is softer and a little wider than my 2011 WR 450 and with good grip also, much better!! No mid-range stutter at all,(my 2011 sucks) the seat height is a little lower and I'm 6'0" and can get my feet flat on the ground. I really like how quiet my new 450 motor is, no loud rattling and clunking like my 2011 WR450 has. It sounds like a completely different motor!! I just noticed that there's no throttle stop screw keeping it from getting full throttle, I wonder why? Its still corked up but its still much quicker than my 2011 was when it was new and corked up . I'll have my hand guards, skid plate, air filter, new grips and other miscellaneous do dads tomorrow and my Z- Start Pro next Wednesday. I have the Z-start Pro in my 2011 and love it!! I guess my son will park the 2012 WR 250 and get to ride my 2011 450 ( he loves the Rekluse also) and dad will get to ride the 2012 450. I'll uncork it tonight so when we go riding Saturday it will be ready to rip. I see now that I should have got a 2012 450 to begin with but I guess we all make mistakes from time to time. Well enough about my 2012 450 till I get some seat time on it and tweak on the suspension some. If anyone is thinking about getting a new left over 2011 or a new 2012 I would highly recommend the the 2012 honda over the 2011 WR 450 for sure, or for that matter a new 2012 WR450. I've had 25 new Yamaha's over the years and only two other honda's and I think this one will be special. Quiet motor, lower stand over, softer wider seat, bright "red", quick starts, on mixing of tranny oil with motor oil, no ignition switch to forget to turn off and run down the battery, aluminum rear sprocket, better placement for the coolant recovery tank, easy to get to AIS removal, wing nut holding air filter in place, did I say pretty red color? I sure hope it handles as good as my WR450 I really like that bike, but for right now I LOVE my new red honda and i hope I still do after I take my first ride. I've been a Yamaha guy for years,

That's fine and dandy, but not really needed or welcome here. Go home troll!

I have a 2008 WR450 I'm selling and just put my first ride on my 2012 WR last week (also XC race my 2010 YZ250). Tell you what, I wouldn't trade the 2012 WR for any other bike. The reasons vary with the bike as to why I wouldn't trade: KTM - reliability; Honda - cost of maintenance; Beta/Husky - just plain cost; Kawi/Suzuki - just not interested, no chance to plate it.

I just love my Yamahas for reliability, cost of maintenance, dealer support, yadda, yadda, yadda.

trailhead :devil:

• cwallershasta

Posted June 22, 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hey guy's just chiming in on the WR. I live in Utah County UT between the mountains & desert. I'm 43, 5'10" and 155lbs, witch seems to be revelavent on these WR threads because alot of you seem like big guy's. I've had this bike since the beginning of May and have put a lot of saddle time in. I first would like to thank Boise Bee and others for the excellent information they put on here (by the way Mr Nugent, we have very similar bikes). It made it a little less stressful as I was selling my YZ's and standing in line to get this thing, so big thanks to you guy's. I been riding YZ's for ten years, started with a 02 426, went to 06 250, then got an 08 450 bought em new. Sold the 426 in 08 and just rode the 250 on Mt single track and rode the 450 everywhere else. I mentioned this because you may be wondering why a guy my size did not stick to a 250. It was great on the Mt single track, but I preferred the bigger bike everywhere else. So my only concern about this bike was how it was going to handle our Mt single track (witch some is pretty challenging). Just like I thought it was awesome in the desert, deep sand whoops are a breeze and it doesn't seem to matter how deep the sand is, this bike shines in it. The desert single track was pretty sweet too, it seems like I can focus more on the trail than what the bike is doing, it handles really well at high speeds. So our mountain single track opens up and time for the moment of truth. Most of the people I ride with lately are on KTM or Husky 300's and we all know they are the single track studs, but I'm true blue for a few reasons and was not going to stray from it. So I put my trials tire on and had at it, and between the tire, the fuel injection, and the way this thing turns it has been an awesome expierence. The more I ride it the more I like it. The only time it feels like a big bike to me is on the off camber goat paths, all the rest of the single track it feels like my 250 did. So I came from YZ's, but my impression of this bike is that it is pretty freakin sweet and sometimes it even feels like them, besides of course the instant power, incredible suspension and oh yeah, e start. I don't know where some of the things I've read on here come from, as I live in altitude and this bike starts first second kick everytime and the e start works fine once the bike is warm. Also I love the braking on it too. I could keep going, but let's just say there's really nothing that I don't like about this bike.

Edited by cwallershasta, June 22, 2012 - 11:45 AM.

• pdivizzle

Posted June 22, 2012 - 10:24 PM

why is everyone so damn brand loyal? last time i checked I had to pay for my own bike, and ill choose whatever bike suits me the best. Whether it be KTM, Yamaha, Honda, or any other maker.

My next bike will be a KTM 300XC. Not because i dont love my WR, but because i want a lightweight, powerful, low maintenence bike with E-start. Im done with 4-strokes merely because of the weight, they tire me out too quickly

• tomerb

Posted June 22, 2012 - 11:33 PM

why is everyone so damn brand loyal? last time i checked I had to pay for my own bike, and ill choose whatever bike suits me the best. Whether it be KTM, Yamaha, Honda, or any other maker.

My next bike will be a KTM 300XC. Not because i don't love my WR, but because i want a lightweight, powerful, low maintenance bike with E-start. I'm done with 4-strokes merely because of the weight, they tire me out too quickly

WOW!! Another smart member!!

• BFox

Posted June 23, 2012 - 04:58 PM

WOW!! Another smart member!!

Now let me get this straight.You havn't got one pumpkin or even a 2 smoker listed on your list of toys.Which is impressive I might add yet pdivizzle is an uber genius for wanting a 300XC?

• tomerb

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:08 PM

I'm getting a YZ250 for my next bike. I still love two strokes even more than my Honda 450X. (Which is awesome)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 23, 2012 - 10:22 PM

My next bike will be a KTM 300XC. Not because i dont love my WR, but because i want a lightweight, powerful, low maintenence bike with E-start. Im done with 4-strokes merely because of the weight, they tire me out too quickly

last we checked, we pay for our own bikes too. And if we make a decision based on brand loyalty, they why do you care?

• pdivizzle

Posted June 24, 2012 - 04:58 PM

last we checked, we pay for our own bikes too. And if we make a decision based on brand loyalty, they why do you care?

Hey man, its your checkbook, you could buy a chopper and put knobbies on it for all i care.

i just find it retarted that people talk smack just because someone bought a certain brand.

Hey, if Yamaha offered a race ready YZ250 id buy it. however, after buying a YZ, id put at least a grand in upgardes into it just to make it like a stock ktm. I was never a fan of KTM's but the new ones seem to be getting better and better

Just to get it straight, im not at all supporting the OP one bit. ive ridden the new WR and i absolutely love it, however i need a bike for serious racing. The 4 strokes run too damn hot in the desert and just weigh too much

Edited by pdivizzle, June 24, 2012 - 05:01 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:30 PM

There's various reasons for brand loyalty, and not all of them are good, and not all of them are bad. I personally, have tried nearly all of the manufacturers, and still keep coming back to Yamaha.

Why? Because there handling suits my riding style better than every other brand I've tried. Which includes Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and KTM.

Some of those bikes had some serious attributes that made them great bikes, but I never did get them to handle the way I wanted. And trust me, I tried!

The Yamaha just suits me. Does that make me a bad man?

Maniac

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.