WR450 -05 Lack of power

If you are running the stock silencer, you can yank all you want.The front wheel isn't going to come up without some help. The stock silencer really chokes the engine.Once you stick a new silencer on you won't believe how good the power feels

I weigh 154 lbs. If I'm not up on the tank, I dare not get throttle happy or it will loop out even in 3rd gear. I don't have to yank at all, and can roll it on in 2nd or crack it in third and the front end comes up. I think the PO did all the free mods plus a Yoshimura exhaust. The gearing is stock. Mt friends that I race HS with(they are fast, I am old & slow) all say this is a beast for power!

I would look into which free mods were done to the bike, and specifically the O-ring mod. That single mod did the absolute most improvement for low-end torque over anything else I did. Even with proper jetting, it would fall flat when the throttle was twisted quickly at lower RPM. I've got the WR426 which will do 3rd gear wheelies with just lots of throttle (assuming I don't lose traction :devil: ) and me weighing 195ish lbs, while sitting in neutral position. I can't say for certain how the power-delivery characteristics are different, but it seems to me like you've got some more power hidden in the bike somewhere.

There WILL be some differences based on suspension setup too, although probably minor. A soft rear suspension will compress quite a bit easier when you crack the throttle than a stiff suspension. This will greatly affect weight transfer and ability to loft the front wheel. I doubt it is the issue, but can make it more difficult to bring up the front wheel.

Edited by Pooley

• 5 months later...