WR450 -05 Lack of power

30 replies to this topic
  • dareddann3

Posted June 21, 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hello guys! This is my first post here, although i've been lurking for some time.

Today i went to buy a used WR450f. I tested it, and it didn't impress me.

The bike was really low geared, i could cruise at 60 km/h in fifth!
To describe the power, it felt like 30hp to me. The bike would only power wheelie in 1st and 2nd. 3rd, not even close.
Even my old xl600 -87 pulls harder.

I really hope all WR's are not like this. The owner had removed the insert from the exhaust, yz throttle stop was on, etc.
Thing is though, that the piston had 200 hrs on it. Could that be the case of the power loss? Low compression maybe.

I really appreciate any answers to this!
Thanks,
Daniel

• Stealth13

Posted June 21, 2012 - 03:02 PM

Do you mean power wheelie by standing up and leaning back? Mine will only do third if I give a good yank on it

• dareddann3

Posted June 21, 2012 - 03:09 PM

I mean by using nothing but throttle, neutral body positioning. Are you running stock gearing?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hello guys! This is my first post here, although i've been lurking for some time.

Today i went to buy a used WR450f. I tested it, and it didn't impress me.

The bike was really low geared, i could cruise at 60 km/h in fifth!
To describe the power, it felt like 30hp to me. The bike would only power wheelie in 1st and 2nd. 3rd, not even close.
Even my old xl600 -87 pulls harder.

I really hope all WR's are not like this. The owner had removed the insert from the exhaust, yz throttle stop was on, etc.
Thing is though, that the piston had 200 hrs on it. Could that be the case of the power loss? Low compression maybe.

I really appreciate any answers to this!
Thanks,
Daniel

Its an 05 with 200 hrs. Its a little tired. check the piston, rings and valves. Do that and the power should be pretty good.

But... what were you expecting. This is supposed to be a smooth, easy to ride enduro bike. Its not a motorcross bike

• dareddann3

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Ok thanks maurice. I know it's not a YZ but i'm still amazed that my old XL pulls harder :devil:

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:19 PM

I too was a little disappointed at first at the WR's power, and my other bike is a YZ250f. After a slip-on and remapping the ECU it's hard to keep the front end down. I rarely need full throttle, as that makes it scary fast.

• dareddann3

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:31 PM

How did you remap the ECU?

• n16ht5

Posted June 21, 2012 - 07:57 PM

something is wrong.. I had a XR650L that I modded out like crazy and it didn't pull like my WR. It had more bottom end torque but that was it

• Stealth13

Posted June 21, 2012 - 10:03 PM

I mean by using nothing but throttle, neutral body positioning. Are you running stock gearing?

14/50 gearing. With neutral position im lucky if it will ever come up in second... First pops up easy

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 21, 2012 - 10:24 PM

Ok thanks maurice. I know it's not a YZ but i'm still amazed that my old XL pulls harder :devil:

Then there is definitely something not up to snuff! You need to go through it. Check the compression, valves, carb, etc... My 05 barks quite nicely off idle and has a strong midrange and pulls to a nice top end that I don't have the guts to fully try.

200hrs... it needs a new piston and maybe a valve adjustment. Its pretty cheap and easy on this bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted June 22, 2012 - 04:38 AM

It's not as torquey as an old XL will be because it's much more of a rev driven bike, I hate to say. I felt the same way about my 04 after I sold my XR650L and CR250R and bought it to replace them. Then I spent some time on it and completely changed my mind.

Sounds like this one needs a check that all free mods are done, complete checkup and some tweaking, but I think more than anything it's running right, but you need to ride it more like a 2 stroke than a low reving air cooled thumper. Mine is geared +1 in the front and wheelies easily in first and second but I have to pull it up and rev it to do it in third and higher but it will loft the front wheen to get over obsticles without issue.

If you want something to stroke your ego and impress your friends with wheelies, keep the XL; if you want something to actually ride, and will do whatever you ask off road and loft the front wheel at will, the WR is a great choice.

Edited by miweber929, June 22, 2012 - 07:47 AM.

• allterra

Posted June 22, 2012 - 06:05 AM

As an Xowner of an XR500 dual carb and an XL 650 I have to say the WR did not seem to have that tractor power they had to pull the high gearing in the low rpms. But they had no top end and were slow to rev. I now have a 450 and it is almost as if it has two motors in it one is the low end which is not as strong as the previously mentioned then you have the high mid to top end that out pulls anything I have ever owned on the dirt except my YZ. I think (not having ridden your bike) that you may still be attempting to ride it like the big red one and not realizing that your tire may be breaking free much quicker with the WR than you think. I think that with some seat time you will learn the sweet spot(s) of the WR and never look back. I did.

• MaxPower

Posted June 23, 2012 - 06:28 AM

Did it have the stock exhaust on it?

• dareddann3

Posted June 24, 2012 - 04:23 AM

Hello guys i wanna update this.
I sold the Wr and got another used one, this one, a -04 with leovince exhaust.
What a difference. This one feels alot more powerful! Im really glad now!

• Stealth13

Posted June 25, 2012 - 06:07 AM

Does it power wheelie in third? I'm lucky if mine comes up in second gear while sitting down... It's been like that since the last 5000km I rode it though

• allterra

Posted June 25, 2012 - 09:03 AM

Does it power wheelie in third? I'm lucky if mine comes up in second gear while sitting down... It's been like that since the last 5000km I rode it though

I have an 07 so I don't know how it compares to a 05 but, standing on the pegs no body english or precompression on hard pack dry sort of clay and corse sand with less than 1/2 inch knobs on a Dunlop 120/100/18 756, all freemods and jetted 13/48 gears and at the correct rpm the front will not only lift but will carry for some distance. I can't say it will loft like 1st or 2nd but perhaps on a good one I will have it up 12 to 18 inches.most of the time only 3 or 4 inches.

• Stealth13

Posted June 25, 2012 - 09:09 AM

That's a lot lower gearing than mine. I can sit down leaning forward and it can lift me up in first and sometimes second. Third I have to stand up and give a good yank. Maybe something's wrong with mine

• n16ht5

Posted June 25, 2012 - 12:16 PM

I can yank it up till about 45mph

• Stealth13

Posted June 25, 2012 - 12:31 PM

I can pull it up in third with a hard yank. I see people using just throttle though

• dareddann3

Posted June 26, 2012 - 03:35 AM

I can pull it up in third with a hard yank. I see people using just throttle though

Yep, my new 04 comes up in third pretty easy. I don't have to yank it

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.