11 450f hard starting

7 replies to this topic
  • poppa

Posted June 20, 2012 - 01:54 PM

Using the high load/ sand map at the top of this forum, the bike is hard to start after a hard run get off. Anybody have any ideas? Bike has about 50hrs, good gas, oil changed every race. Dosen't seem to be as much an issue with bone stock map.

• poppa

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:48 PM

prolly rider error in the starting technic?

• poppa

Posted June 23, 2012 - 08:24 PM

come on, somebody has a comment.

• ka24s14am

Posted June 24, 2012 - 09:59 AM

my 2012 can be funny about how it wants to start

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MX763

Posted June 24, 2012 - 11:38 AM

My 2011 is a bitch to start when it's hot. I have the Jay Marmont tune with an FMF slip on. It fires up cold no problems but when it's hot it's a bitch. I have been using the fast idle/ hot start knob more and it seems to help. I wish they went back to manual compression release. When I went down or stalled my 426 I would just put it in neutral and pull in the manual compression release then kick it through 4-5 times. That beast would start up the first time every time.

• Joe846

Posted June 25, 2012 - 07:03 AM

Like the other poster mentioned, sounds like procedure error. I thought mine was harder to start with a different GYTR map, but as long as I follow procedure, it starts the same crash, stall or kill switch. The only difference is I have to clear it out, per the manual, with the throttle wide open when if I crash, then start it.

Also, I don't think the starting map is different whether or not you have a GYTR map or not, from what I've heard.

Other issues could be valves @ 50 hours. Mine were on the tight side of spec at the first check, so if yours are already tight it could be causing issues.

• poppa

Posted June 25, 2012 - 01:34 PM

thanks for the replys. I will go through the procedures with the rider (my son ) again an we are checking the valve lash this week. From what I understood the mapping change that we did wouldn't affect the starting, just a hurry up leg.

• brentn

Posted June 25, 2012 - 06:23 PM

Pull the cold start knob out and try, yes it works very well when the engine is hot.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.