Just an observation...

9 replies to this topic
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted April 20, 2001 - 09:43 PM

Why is it that everyone in the east assumes that we don't have tight, wooded trails out west? :) I always hear that the WR is great out west where the terrain is wide open but the DRZ is so much better in the east with its tight, wooded trails. We don't have any trees in the Pacific NW. ;)Would I enjoy my dub-r more if I moved east?

I must be bored and I don't have anything else to say! :D

• TheBOS

Posted April 20, 2001 - 09:54 PM

that's a good point. I have been thinking about moving to colorado in the next couple of years. i love riding in the tight, technical (mt bike singletrack) new england woods, would I still be able to ride similar terrain if I moved??? it would definitely be a factor in my decision on whether or not to move.
-Brett

• Bryan Bosch

Posted April 20, 2001 - 09:58 PM

I have not been to Colorado, however, the trails in Oregon (West of the Cascade) are tight and technical with rocks, tree roots, mud, etc... I'd say Colorado has similar conditions (Western Colorado). You should have no shortage of info on Colorado as there are lots of TT members that live there. Thought about Fort Collins myself at one point.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 20, 2001 - 10:09 AM

Thats always been my assumption, I don't know why. Wadda ya got? Don't tell me I am going to have to come out there and see for myself. Describe one of your technical trails. Width, offcamber, rocks etc. Lets hear it.

• Bill

Posted April 20, 2001 - 10:13 AM

Bryan,

Have you seen Rons "woods" video? How "wide" or "technical" is that trail. I grew up riding in California and now have ridden in the southern woods and now Pennsylvania.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted April 20, 2001 - 10:40 AM

I can't speak for Colorado, but the trails in NW Oregon and Washington are east coast nasty much of the time. I wish I have a helmet cam to show you. Love those exposed tree roots on nasty, muddy, steep uphills!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 20, 2001 - 10:44 AM

It is muddy now, thats for sure. Come on over and play. Bill is gonna join me for the dry season, but if you like it muddy, Now is the time. I personally avoid as much mud as I can, but sometimes you have no options.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted April 20, 2001 - 10:54 AM

Mud is great has long as you are not following anyone. I love to wick the throttle out of corners with my new 756's! Mud slinger! Clean-up bites though.

[This message has been edited by Bryan Bosch (edited 04-20-2001).]

• paul913

Posted April 20, 2001 - 11:08 AM

Brett, BOS, Come out to Colorado. We've got both! If you want wide open there's plenty of it. But we also have very tight, rocky, rooty trails. Sometimes you'll see MTB guys up there, but rarely. These are dirt bike trails!

There are two differences from yours to ours, though. Our trails are mostly dry and dusty. You don't slip, but it's hard to stay close or pass.

We also have SERIOUS vertical. There aren't too many trails that just casually roam through the rolling hills. We're talking fierce switchbacks with sheer drop offs and no soft ferns to land on. In an area we ride in summer called Redcone you could justifiably change jets during the loop - 7,000 to 12,500 above sea level.

Last year Milkman made the trip to ride with Bryan. Well, I guess he waxed Bryan riding in mud and roots in Missouri, but Bryan left them on one of our rolling trails. Milkman said it took a while to get used to riding off-camber switchback ledges looking over cliffs. :)

The only time we come across mud is crossing a beaver bog. It's usually flat and mossy with that real black stinky stuff. Fun to throw on the guys behind you, but bad to get stuck in!

Come out any time. We'd love to show you around.

Jake

• Bryan Bosch

Posted April 20, 2001 - 11:20 AM

thanks for inviting me too Jake! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.