Burned out ignition coil in my 426

No replies to this topic
  • unliketea

Posted June 19, 2012 - 09:42 AM

So I drove to Hatfield and McCoy trail system this past weekend intent on riding my '01 yz426f through a couple hundred miles of trail. Unfortunately on the first day about 2 hours into the ride after a quick break to tighten a bolt on one of my plastics, she failed to start.

Plug wasn't sparking so replaced it and still no spark, also with a rekluse clutch in, a pop-start wasn't an option .. ended up taking her back to camp in the back of a ranger :-(

Upon further investigation, found that my ignition coil was running about 2-3 times the spec resistance (which makes sense for why we would occasionally get a weak spark when cranking it over). So now I'm trying to figure out what I did to burn it out to prevent it from happening again:
  • I recently upgraded my stator and put on head and tail lights ... I've run it multiple times since then though so don't believe the upgraded stator would have overloaded the coil, am I wrong in this assumption?
  • We had a pretty large group running the trail so we were moving *alot* slower than I normally like to run. My bike was running as hot as it ever has, I read that heat can ruin a coil? Is this something I have to be wary of when running my dirtbike on trails?
  • Finally, I adjusted the idle (black twisty knob on left hand side) pretty high after having stalled out a couple times early in the ride. (A rekluse clutch shouldn't be stalling!) I'm beginning to think this may have had an effect on what caused the coil to burn out
Any of these the primary reason? Any of them a non-issue? When I replace the coil, should I stick with stock or is there a better option?

Thanks and Cheers --Tea

Edited by unliketea, June 19, 2012 - 09:43 AM.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.