'92 XR600 carb settings required

3 replies to this topic
  • Taipan

Posted October 28, 2003 - 11:25 AM

Hi All
Can anyone tell me what the float height is for my 92 XR600? Also, what is the standard pilot jet?
The little brass screw at the front of the carb, what is it refered to as, the air or fuel or mixture adjustment screw? On other thumpers I've owned, I'd try to get the pilot screw to equal betwwen 1.5 - 2 turns out on the fuel mixture screw. Is the goal the same on these bikes? Sorry for the basic questions, but my manual hasn't arrived yet :)

• Desmo

Posted October 28, 2003 - 11:39 AM

I've posted a similar opinion before regarding my 1994 xr600, but here goes. I struggled with the stock carb for a few rides. It was very hard to start after a spill and it flooded easily. I purchased an Edlebrock Quicksilver carb off ebay and after about 30 minutes of tuning it worked really well. The best part is that it does not flood as easily after a spill. It starts really easily and is more responsive throughout the rpm range. Pretty much a "first kick" bike after a few priming kicks. I was going to sell my bike before I got this carb, now I'm going to keep it. Just one opinion.

I think the best retailer for the carb is Barnum Brothers or something like that, search the web.

If you are going to keep the xr600 stock carb, I'd call xrs only or baja designs for jetting opinions.

Good luck

Scott

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taipan

Posted October 28, 2003 - 12:18 PM

Ignore the post, I just found them online. So for everyone elses benefit as well here they are, http://www.techstan....sp600/sp600.htm

• Taipan

Posted October 28, 2003 - 01:27 PM

I've posted a similar opinion before regarding my 1994 xr600, but here goes. I struggled with the stock carb for a few rides. It was very hard to start after a spill and it flooded easily. I purchased an Edlebrock Quicksilver carb off ebay and after about 30 minutes of tuning it worked really well. The best part is that it does not flood as easily after a spill. It starts really easily and is more responsive throughout the rpm range. Pretty much a "first kick" bike after a few priming kicks. I was going to sell my bike before I got this carb, now I'm going to keep it. Just one opinion.

I think the best retailer for the carb is Barnum Brothers or something like that, search the web.

If you are going to keep the xr600 stock carb, I'd call xrs only or baja designs for jetting opinions.

Good luck

Scott

Hi Scott
Thanks for the feedback. I'd love an edelbock, but there is no support here for them in the UK. :) The mikuni is probably an option as I can get jets etc. At the moment I'm just trying to get the oem carb to work, although after tonights strip down, it may be my right foot that needs setting up and not the carb!
Weirdest thing is it has a 62 pilot but the airscrew is only about a 1/4 turn out. Apparently any more and it just chokes up? I assumed it needed a smaller pilot (slow)jet. But I'm told the standard one is a 62 and the air/fuel/mixture (whatever it is)screw should be at approx 2 turns out??? I'm totally confused now. How can it even run at 1/4 turn out with the correct pilot in??? The float height is correct? I cant think of anything else that would richen up the pilot circuit in such a way, other than the pilot is the wrong size and too big?? Is it possible that a 62 kehin size is different to a 62 honda size?? This is driving me mad, mind you its driven me to beer as well, so its not all bad!
Thoughts on the kehin honda jet sizing theory anyone?
cheers
Dave

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.