IS 426 450 ALOT QUICKER THAN WR 400

14 replies to this topic
  • new2it400

Posted June 19, 2012 - 02:10 AM

HI THERE I RECENTLY BOUGHT A WR400F,

AFTER OWNING 2 STOKES ALL MY LIFE I WAS A LITTLE DISAPOINTED WITH THE POWER OF MY 400,

I THOUGHT THE TORQUE OF THE 4 STROKE WOULD LIFT THE FRONT WHEEL JUST OFF THE THROTTLE!!

IS THE 426 AND 450 ALOT QUICKER

• td42ti

Posted June 19, 2012 - 03:50 AM

What gearing are you running? If you are geared high you won't lift the front wheel as easily.

• miweber929

Posted June 19, 2012 - 04:30 AM

Need more info like gearing, gear you are in, throttle position, tuning of tge bike, etc.

Had an 00 CR250R completely setup for woods riding before my 04 WR and was immediately disappointed in its ability (or lack of) to loft the front wheel when needed and it felt slow overall.

Then I adjusted my riding style to match the bikes powerband and love it. I can lift the front wheel at will and love riding it. I miss the snap of the 2T but wouldn't go back to only a smoker.

Give it time, it'll come.

And 50cc of displacement between the 400 and 450 is over 10% of total size and far larger than a big bore would be; keep that in mind.

• new2it400

Posted June 19, 2012 - 05:51 AM

hi there its 14/50 gearing, miweber929, thats what i think, i miss the snap of the 2t badly, the wr feels abit lazy!! what gearing would you recommend? i dont really want top end power just raw accelaration :devil:

all i do is use it on a local mx track, but feels slow out of the corners

ps/ the bike is completely stock, (long story) but its 2002, but been stored for 9 years, with 212 miles only

Edited by new2it400, June 19, 2012 - 05:53 AM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 19, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Get the carb dialed in and make sure your valves are in spec.

The WR is definitely a bit lazy feeling compared to a 2 stroke. This is an easy to ride bike where the somewhat muted power would be wonderful offroad.

For snap and raw acceleration on a mx track, you got the wrong bike. Keep your revs just a little higher and the front will come up.

It probably feels slower than it really is.

• travertt

Posted June 19, 2012 - 09:00 AM

I just changed my gearing from 14/50 to 13/50...all I do is woods riding (on a WR450)

If popping the front wheel is what you're after this will definitly help...also perhaps some refinement on riding technique might help...I'm far from expert but I gather that pre-loading the front end (weight shift) then a little feathered clutch, some throttle and popping the clutch back in should help you on your quest.

Also as others suggested...make sure your carb etc are all dialed in...and remember...its is a four stroke and is probably 60 or so pounds heavier than your smoker.

I have not driven a 400 but I can assure you that a 450 set up and ridden correctly will have no problem stepping over obstacles.

• freeriders98

Posted June 19, 2012 - 12:38 PM

hi there its 14/50 gearing, miweber929, thats what i think, i miss the snap of the 2t badly, the wr feels abit lazy!! what gearing would you recommend? i dont really want top end power just raw accelaration :devil:

all i do is use it on a local mx track, but feels slow out of the corners

ps/ the bike is completely stock, (long story) but its 2002, but been stored for 9 years, with 212 miles only

Get it off the MX track!!! Get it on some trails and open her up some.

Also like was said, if it sat for 9 years it is more than likely gunked up. Pull the tanks off clean it good, then clean and dial in the carb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted June 19, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Fourstrokes generally feel slow. That's partly how they make people faster riders than when they were on there two strokes. When your riding your fourstroke, and it feels slow, you tend to wick it up some and go faster. And unknown to you, you were already going faster than previously on your two stroke, it just "seemed" slow is all. The way I described it is like this, Two strokes seem "busy". Your always shifting, braking, clutching, moving around on the seat looking for traction, etc..., and this busyness makes them seem like you are hauling ass!!! Then you jump on a fourstroke, and the damn thing rev's slowly, doesn't dance around while accelerating, and even brakes rather controllably. And this makes them seem slow, but in actuallity, your really hauling ass!!! Or at least, this is how I see it. Your results may vary!!!
Maniac

• Rot Box

Posted June 19, 2012 - 09:47 PM

I agree with everything stated above. I bought my 426 because I knew a 4T would be a better choice for a part time dual sport. Being my first decent four stroke amongst years of being on 2T's I'll be 100% honest and say I didn't really care for it at first and it literally took me a good year or so to warm up to it. At this point in time it is one of my favorite bikes of all time. Its a pleasure to ride and I really enjoy everything about it. If it had 6 gears I'd never consider buying anything else (but that's another story :ride:)

Give it time. Make sure everything is squared away and the carb is tuned in and I think you'll end up liking it a lot after you rack up some miles. For me the only thing I envy about the 450's is the e-start. I think the power, handling and suspension on the earlier model 450's are very comparable to the 400's and 426's but I could be wrong :devil:

Edited by Rot Box, June 19, 2012 - 09:47 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 20, 2012 - 04:15 AM

Rot Box, you are correct. The newer 426's & 450's are not much more powerful than the 400. A little, but not any large difference for sure. The biggest and best thing is the e-start.
Maniac

• new2it400

Posted June 20, 2012 - 09:04 AM

this is good reading i am learning alot!!!! thanks guys, i did what you,se said and put the lid back on the air box because its stock and i dont want to be messing with jetting and stuff just yet!!

can i just ask, what do you mean when you say dial the carb in???

thanks new2it400

• miweber929

Posted June 20, 2012 - 10:52 AM

this is good reading i am learning alot!!!! thanks guys, i did what you,se said and put the lid back on the air box because its stock and i dont want to be messing with jetting and stuff just yet!!

thanks new2it400

Run it stock until you are ready to work on it would be your best bet.

I hate modifying stuff for the sake of modifying things but a high perf 4 stroke will wake up with a jetting (also known as dialing in the carb) and a slip-on muffler or full system, more so with the WR450's than the older 400's and 426's, however it will give you a nice bump in performance. Not sure what year your WR is but I have read a good mod for the older (98-99's) was a newer model FCR as it has a remote hot start and much better performance than those orginal ones which can be slightly difficult to dial in. Should be able to find a good used one from an older 450 in the $100 (US) range if you are looking for an upgrade.Jet it as if it was a 450 and go down from there if needed.

As far as your gearing I personally believe the stock 14/50 is a prettty good all around, but some have had quite a bit of success with the 13/50 if you offroad only and I personally run a 15/49 as I ride mine on the street as well as dirt, bought the wrong rear sprocket originally and going +1 in the front allows me to spin a bit less RPM's at 55-60 mph yet still go at a walking pace in first with the clutch out. At 70mph or so extended time on the street it likes to blow a trickle of oil out the valve cover breather tube so I don't go that fast too long.

Hope this helps.

Edited by miweber929, June 20, 2012 - 10:54 AM.

• Rot Box

Posted June 20, 2012 - 10:55 AM

By dialing the carb in you basically "tune" in the jetting and accelerator pump settings. The WR's use a great carb however they were notorious for being jetted lean stock and a carburetor that is out of tune can be a major headache on the trail. Removing the air box lid or adding an aftermarket exhaust system makes matters even worse. If it runs fine now leave it alone however if you see that the bike has difficulty starting, backfiring, trouble idling or the header pipe glows red in the dark you may want to richen the jetting.

These (there are a lot of different brands out there) help tremendously when it comes to tuning in the pilot circuit of the carb: http://www.rockymoun...l-Mixture-Screw It makes it so you can turn the fuel screw with your fingers instead of fumbling around with a miniature screwdriver.

The tech articles at the top of this forum are a great resource for tuning in the carb :devil: Hope this helps,

Andrew

• new2it400

Posted June 20, 2012 - 12:34 PM

thanks andrew,

the bike runs great, thanks for your advice :devil:

• proamature

Posted June 20, 2012 - 05:47 PM

HI THERE I RECENTLY BOUGHT A WR400F,

AFTER OWNING 2 STOKES ALL MY LIFE I WAS A LITTLE DISAPOINTED WITH THE POWER OF MY 400,

I THOUGHT THE TORQUE OF THE 4 STROKE WOULD LIFT THE FRONT WHEEL JUST OFF THE THROTTLE!!

IS THE 426 AND 450 ALOT QUICKER

I'm 140lbs and can pull a 5th gear Willie with just throttle no clutch. I'll never go back to a 2stroke after getting my wr400

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.