YZ426F Hot Cam Install

5 replies to this topic
  • StryfeS13

Posted June 18, 2012 - 10:48 PM

I just bought an exhaust Hot Cam for my bike for the autodecompression feature.. I've read on here that the Hot Cams install just as the stock cam does, so I do not need to count pins or anything, correct? I just install them like the stock cams, like how my manual tells me to?

Also, can I leave my decompression lever on the bike or do I need to remove it afterwards?

• marv02

Posted June 19, 2012 - 04:29 AM

13 pin center to center of the cam gears.

I still use my Stock decompression lever.

Might as well check all the vavle clearance as long you in there.

I put a new cham chain in my self as long as I was in there.

It worth every penny.

Enjoy

Edited by marv02, June 19, 2012 - 04:10 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2012 - 07:07 AM

14 pin center to center of the cam gears.

WRONG. :ride: :devil:

Install the Hot Cams as if they were made for the 426 (because they are), and use the timing marks just as you would a stock engine.

Counting pins between the two 12 o'clock marks should never be used to determine the final timing of any YZF except in the circumstance that you are using the cam from a YZ450 in a 400/426. In that case, it's necessary because the marks on the 450 cam won't line up with the 426 head correctly. In this case, the marks on the Hot Cams are made for the 426, and do in fact work.

Read: http://www.thumperta...845#post7467845

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SWIGIN

Posted June 19, 2012 - 12:29 PM

Also, can I leave my decompression lever on the bike or do I need to remove it afterwards?

I have to ask, why would you leave the decomp lever and cable on?

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2012 - 12:39 PM

If you leave the shaft in the head, you need to leave the coil spring on the shaft arm to keep it retracted, but you can do that. Just remove the bar lever and cable if you like. You can also remove the shaft and plug the hole with an ordinary 18mm freeze plug, or one of these:

http://www.thumperta...mpression-plug/

• marv02

Posted June 19, 2012 - 04:11 PM

WRONG. :ride: :devil:

Sorry fixed it I had a brain fart.

Read: http://www.thumperta...845#post7467845

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.