TRYING TO LEARN ABOUT MY WR400F

4 replies to this topic
  • new2it400

Posted June 17, 2012 - 02:01 PM

HI GUYS!! IVE ALREADY DONE TWO TOPICS, BUT I MIGHT ASWELL WRITE THEM ALL IN HERE ALTOGEATHER AND HOPE SOME OF YOU GUYS REPLY TO MY QUESTIONS!!

FIRST OF ALL I WILL TELL YOU ABIT OF HISTORY OF THE BIKES IVE OWNED SO USE KNOW I HAVE NEVER HAD A SINGLE CYLINDER 4STROKE AND ITS ALL NEW TO ME, THATS WHY I AM SO KEEN ON KNOWING MORE ABOUT THE MACHINE I JUST BOUGHT 2-3 WEEKS AGO!

THE PAST BIKES ARE AS FOLLOWS, KX60,CR80,RM125,CR250, AND A ROAD BIKE GSXR750 WHICH I JUST SOLD, (BOARD OF IT)
SO I WAS LOOKING OUT FOR A MINT CONDITION ENDURO BIKE (which is hard to find given the nature of these bikes), AFTER MANY HOURS LOOKING I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO COME BY A YAM WR400F, WHICH WAS OWNED BY A WEALTHY GUY IN HIS 50"S

THE BIKE IS TOTALLY STOCK WITH 212 MILESON IT FROM NEW, THE GUY RODE IT A FEW TIMES, DIDNT LIKE OFFROADING, AND THEN STORED IT IN HIS GARAGE FOR THE LAST 9 YEARS,
WHEN I PICKED THE BIKE UP I WAS AMAZED AT ITS CONDITION, IT LOOKED BRAND NEW!! (for £1400 i was a happy man) DO ANY OF USE KNOW HOW MUCH THESE BIKES WERE NEW??
ANYWAY, THE GUY COULDNT EVEN START THE DAMM THING, EITHER COULD I HA, AFTER GETTING IT HOME I FOUND THERES A NACK TO STARTING THESE BIKES, TDC, 1 CLICK DOWN THEN FIRE IT UP, AFTER DOING SO IT STARTED FIRST KICK,

REASON FOR THIS POST IS--- AFTER READING UP ON THESE BIKES THEY SEEM TO NEED ALOT OF MAINTENANCE?? OR IS IT MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE??

SO HERES MY QUESTIONS AND I HOPE SOME OF YOU LOT CAN TELL ME THE ANSWERS PLEASE I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL CHEERS LADS!!!

HERE GOES....

HOW OFTEN DO I NEED TO CHANGE OIL/FILTER?

HOW OFTEN DO I NEED TO CHECK VALVES?

IS THERE ANY COMMON PROBLEMS WITH THESE MACHINES??

WHAT ARE THE BEST MODS? EXHAUST ECT?

HOW OFTEN CHANGE PLUG?

HOW OFTEN CLEAN AIR FILTER/RENEW??

IS MY BIKE RUN IN YET/BROKE IN AT 212 MILES??

THINGS I HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE ON??

THATS IT OF THE TOP OF MY HEAD BUT I AMSURE SOMETHING ELSE WILL POP UP!!

ANY INFO ADVICE WOULD BE A REAL HELP THANKYOU

• Rocky739

Posted June 17, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Change oil.. a lot, change filter every other oil change if you want, I am a change oil and filter every race, ride kinda guy.. Lots of debate here so whatever... Use the right oil too, again too much debate for me so choose wisely..

Check valves once or twice a year unless you are flogging the crap out of it then more often..

Problems.. Its a dirtbike... read the FAQ but not more than anything else. The good ole five valve Yamaha is a workhose..

Mods..read on here but most open up the airbox and unrestrict the exuast, jetting goes hand in hand with this.. Plenty fast for most with just this.. It will need the accl pump moded also, this has been discussed ad nauseum on here so I will let you check that out..

Plug... once a decade unless its really worn out then get an iridium and then once every twenty years.. Lots of folks try to fix bikes with new sparkplugs, debate..

Air filter... Every time its dirty crusty or nasty, every ride for me usually in the summer.. follow directions for wash and re-oil.. I carry pre oiled spares in zip lock bags but we have dust here in the summer pretty bad.

No its not fully broken in, or yep its broken in, depending on school of thought... Keep Ryan Dungey off it for another hour to be safe.

Loose bolts, leaky waterpump seals and con rods sticking out bottom of cases...

Other than that I can bet it needs a suspension service (oil and seals changed even if they aren't leaking right now, they will be and the shock has air in the oil from sitting and thus isn't really working, well it's not damping anyways).. After that I'd change all the fluids and grease all the bearings, ie; linkage, steering etc.. as they are dry as a bone from the factory. I had a fair amount of dried out orings and seals and gaskets in the carb on mine so don't be surprized if there are some crunchy parts in there..

Check out my story about my 2003 I did that was similar to yours..

Enjoy, and your picture really creeps me out, what the hell is that?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GlennR

Posted June 18, 2012 - 11:49 AM

Enjoy, and your picture really creeps me out, what the hell is that?

I was wondering the same????

• new2it400

Posted June 20, 2012 - 09:16 AM

hahaha its betty boo playing with her &%$#@!!! (funny)

• MojaveMike45

Posted June 27, 2012 - 04:27 PM

Bought new 99 WR400 .... it is impossible to break, throw it off a cliff and the only damage will be to the rocks below. Lots of open desert & trail riding in Mojave. Don't forget to uncork it ... many posts. Just usual maintenance items, including fork seals twice and keep tightening the rear spokes. Never had a valve adjustment, never a spark plug, original clutch, 2 or 3 kicks cold, 1 kick hot.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.