WHATS THIS I HEAR (GREY WIRE) ON WR400F?

7 replies to this topic
  • new2it400

Posted June 17, 2012 - 12:16 PM

hi all, i recently bought a wr400f thats completely stock, only 212miles from new it was stored for 9 years,

i have read a few things how to make them a little quicker

remove air box lid,

cut grey wire???? WHATS THIS??

exhaust, which i am getting soon

i also heared that you can YZ IT?? i dont know what this is,

i am new to these bikes and really dont know much about the 4strokers!!!!

the WR looks and feels quite a strong bike, a little heavy but overall quite good

i sold my road bike (suzuki gsxr750) and wanted a change so i went towards enduro, i payed £1400 for it with 212 miles i think i got good deal,

all comments/advice very welcome!! thankyou

• William1

Posted June 17, 2012 - 12:32 PM

Your bike does not have the Grey Wire. It is a USA (and grey market CDN) issue.
You will need to rejet once you open the airbox up.
I would not worry about much more until you have some saddle time and identify 'issues' then work on those. It is not wise to modify things just because. Do it because you have a problem that needs resolving.

• new2it400

Posted June 17, 2012 - 01:17 PM

thanks for that so do you think i should put the lid back on the air box then?? cheers

• William1

Posted June 17, 2012 - 04:02 PM

Unless you are also going to jet the bike, I'd leave it untouched.

Opening the airbox up adds a little power but greatly reduces the vacuum signal in the carb so jetting needs to be richend to compensate for it. James Dean makes a fine kit and you can also check the jetting database for your model bike in a similar air densitry place for OEM jetting parts setups.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted June 17, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Yes, opening up the airbox without doing the corresponding jetting won't really accomplish much. If you let more air in, you have to let more fuel in too. Same thing when you finally put on a pipe. If you let more air out, you have to be able to let more air in, which means more fuel again. I like the JD jet kit, which comes with a nice jetting chart for different elevations, temps. etc.. But there are lots of people that like to do it by purchasing there own jets thru Yamaha, which can sometimes be cheaper than the JD kit.
Maniac

• travertt

Posted June 19, 2012 - 09:38 AM

Your bike does not have the Grey Wire. It is a USA (and grey market CDN) issue.

Hi William1...I have a question..

My bike is an 04 WR450...a true Canadian bike. It has a Canada Customs import sticker on the frame.

Concerning the grey wire issue...my bike definitly has one in the appropriate place and it is still connected. However I have no trouble keeping up with two KTM 450s and a Husky 450...all newer than mine. They have ridden mine (briefly) and all said it was comperable to their bikes in terms of power.

SO...my question is....does the grey wire on my Canadian 04 actually function the same way as on an American market bike??
I find it hard to believe that I could get a significant more power out of a bike that already keeps up easily with my buddies bikes...two of them are quite good riders. I thought it was only in 06 that Canadian bikes moved to match American EPA issues/concerns.

The airbox is fully open (that also could be stock on a Canadian 04)...I don't know about the jetting (not the first owner) but it starts and runs great all the time.

After 8 years and much dirt and mud I am unable to seperate the mutipin connectors where the grey wire is in order to "experimint" (disconnect) the grey wire to see what might happen. And I am reluctant to cut the wire in case there are other implications or it becomes a problem re-connecting it.

Can you enlighten me on this??

Thanks for the help.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 19, 2012 - 06:48 PM

I don't think you'll feel much improvement, if any at all, by disconnecting the grey wire. I've done it to mine, and I can barely notice any change at all. I highly recommend not cutting the wire, just in case your looking at the wrong grey wire. I was under the same impression that this was American EPA crap, and wouldn't apply to your Canadian model.
Maniac

• travertt

Posted June 21, 2012 - 06:18 AM

I don't think you'll feel much improvement, if any at all, by disconnecting the grey wire. I've done it to mine, and I can barely notice any change at all. I highly recommend not cutting the wire, just in case your looking at the wrong grey wire. I was under the same impression that this was American EPA crap, and wouldn't apply to your Canadian model

Thanks Maniac

Good to know that I seem to have it all set up more or less correctly.

Its been bugging me for a while given that so many people have said that they have had such dramatic results (improved performance) when they cut the grey wire.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.