YZ250f or YZ450f?

2 replies to this topic
  • bretthanson53

Posted June 17, 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi there,

I'm looking into getting my first motocross bike. I'm 5'10" and 140lbs, 20 years old. I would use it for motocross and wide trail riding. I know the first instinct is to go with the 250f, because they are so common and it is just the perfect all-around size for everything. My concern with that is that I will get bored with it after a few months or so, and would rather just start with a 450f if I'm going to upgrade to one eventually. I also appreciate having something with a bit of uniqueness, something that nearly everybody doesn't have. I've had a few bikes before, including supermotos (Aprilia 550 SXV, kTm 640 lc4) and one street bike (2009 Yamaha R1), so I'm alright with a little bit of power. Sorry about the repetitiveness of this posting subject, but I've read nearly all the forum discussions on 250f vs 450f and I couldn't find one that really fit my situation. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 17, 2012 - 12:06 PM

the 250f is the one you want. Its got plenty of power. You just ride them differently.

although you want to jump right to the 450, its best to start with the 250f and work your way up. You'll have a lot more traction and control. 450's are not the best "first bikes" to have. Don't worry, you'll be able to sell it and trade up in a year or two.

Get the 250,, save a couple of bucks and get your suspension setup right.

• AliGee

Posted June 17, 2012 - 03:01 PM

You live at sea level and in all honesty, (being from Wisco) there aren't any impressive tracks in WI... On top of that, look at all the 250f pros and how they ride and ask them if they get bored on their 250f... A lot of them would say a 450f would be too much for them on a track.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.