Need Help!

4 replies to this topic
  • quadman493

Posted June 16, 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'm trying to help out a 14 year old kid, who is new to the big bikes. He bought this 2001 YZ426F a couple months ago and I've been teaching him how to perform routine maintenance on it. I showed him how to change the oil today an it looked like it hadn't been done in a while. I drained the frame and engine. I pulled the frame filter and cleaned it. The engine filter was so badly caked with black stuff, it was caving in on itself. So I replaced it with a new one. Once I got it filled back up with fresh oil and started it up and let it run to curculate the fresh oil, I turned it off and let it sit so the oil could drain back down for a few minutes. I checked the dip stick to see the oil level and it was jet black already. My question is, does this mean the clutch is burned up? Thanks for any insight on this issue!

• cereal killer

Posted June 17, 2012 - 06:45 AM

From the way you described the oil filter, I'm guessing more gunk was choked up in the engine and didn't get flushed out till you changed the oil. Probably a good idea to change the oil again soon.

Instead of guessing about the clutch's condition by the oil, why not just take the cover off and have a look? Should take ~15mins to do.

1. Turn off the gas and lay the bike on it's side with the clutch cover facing up. (this way you don't have to drain the oil).
2. Separate the rear brake pads so you can push the brake pedal all the way down.
3. Push down on the rear brake pedal and put a screwdriver into the hole to hold the pedal down. (you do this so the brake pedal is out of the way of the clutch cover).
4. Unscrew the 7 bolts holding the clutch cover on. If it hasn't been off in awhile, wiggle it until it comes free. Be gentle taking it off in case the gasket is stuck to both sides so you don't tear it.
5. Remove the 6 clutch springs, then lift out the pressure plate, springs and screws.
6. Remove all the friction and steel disks.
7. Separate the friction disks and measure the overall height of them as a group. Divide by how many there are and you know the width of each. Compare to the specs in the manual.
8. Check the steel disks for blue/burn marks. (Optional, really just if you're experiencing any clutch grabbiness: Place the steel disks on a glass surface and check them for warpage with a feeler guage.)
9. Reverse the process.

EDIT: Forgot to add, put the bike in 5th gear before you start too. This will make it easier to loosen the pressure plate bolts.

Edited by cereal killer, June 17, 2012 - 09:52 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • quadman493

Posted June 17, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the help! I'll check it out when I get a chance.

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2012 - 07:05 AM

If the oil had been neglected as you say, the new oil will be washing out the soot and slime deposits in the engine for a while. Might take a couple of changes to get it cleared up.

• quadman493

Posted June 19, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thanks Gray!!!

Edited by quadman493, June 19, 2012 - 05:58 PM.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.