2011 450 Suspension setup help for beginner

3 replies to this topic
  • mfoti

Posted June 16, 2012 - 06:59 PM

First let me say thanks in advance to all the great people on this forum who donate their time to help beginners. It is really appreciated. thank you.

I am new to MX and have never adjusted a suspension before. I weight 180 lbs and i now have 5 hours on a 2011 450f riding a soft MX track. How far off is the stock setup for my weight? I know every condition, preference, etc. determines the adjustment but I am a beginner and i just want to be "close" to the proper setup. Is there a general direction everyone takes on these bikes.. ie.softens the fork, etc... or is it all over the place depending on the rider/track?

My Static Sag Front is 46 mm and Static Sag rear is 89 mm. Do those numbers sound right?

Edited by mfoti, June 16, 2012 - 07:03 PM.

• MX763

Posted June 16, 2012 - 10:08 PM

First let me say thanks in advance to all the great people on this forum who donate their time to help beginners. It is really appreciated. thank you.

I am new to MX and have never adjusted a suspension before. I weight 180 lbs and i now have 5 hours on a 2011 450f riding a soft MX track. How far off is the stock setup for my weight? I know every condition, preference, etc. determines the adjustment but I am a beginner and i just want to be "close" to the proper setup. Is there a general direction everyone takes on these bikes.. ie.softens the fork, etc... or is it all over the place depending on the rider/track?

My Static Sag Front is 46 mm and Static Sag rear is 89 mm. Do those numbers sound right?

What's up to a fellow Floridian? I have been on Yamahas for a long time and I have noticed this one takes a while to set up and is very sensitive to setup. I wish I had more to offer but I am about to send my forks and shock off to Six12 in Central Florida for Gold Valving and springing. Good luck with it and I should be able to report back in a week or so.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VetRacer75

Posted June 17, 2012 - 01:31 AM

Hi, the static sag is the amount of sag the bike has under its own weight, this should be approx 20-30mm from top out..
Rider sag is the amount of sag with the rider standing verticle on the pegs fully geared up, this should be in the range of 95-105mm.
You can do the static easy but for the rider sag get someone to accurately measure these from the same spots vertically from you rear axle to underside of rear guard with you on it.
At your weight you should be able to gain these figures with the stock shock spring.
I'm Approx 205 without gear and had to install 0.50kg forks springs and 6kg shock spring.
Wow huge difference, bike is far more stable and i can go faster.

Edited by VetRacer75, June 18, 2012 - 03:03 AM.

• RYDER336

Posted June 17, 2012 - 08:16 AM

For hardcore racing, these are MXA’s recommended 2011 YZ450F shock settings (stock settings are in parentheses). Spring rate: 5.7 kg/mm Race sag: 100mm Hi-compression: 1-1/2 turns out (1-1/4 stock) Lo-compression: 7 clicks out (8 clicks out) Rebound: 11 clicks out (14 clicks out) Notes: Most MXA test riders preferred less high-speed compression.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.