How much for oil filter?

5 replies to this topic
  • Glen_T

Posted September 20, 2001 - 07:37 PM

I went into a Yamaha shop (not my regular stop for parts) in Fresno CA today to get a couple of oil filters. I thought they'd be $10 - $12 like usual. They tried to sell them to me for $17.95! I told the parts guy that I've never paid more than 12 for an original Yamaha filter. He just shrugged and offered a 10% discount. Needless to say he didn't sell any filters. Has anyone else been getting gouged for filters lately? I wound up getting a couple of after-market HIFLOFILTRO filters at another shop for $7.00ea. I hope they are as good. I've always used the genuine filters.

• Mr._Bandicoot

Posted September 21, 2001 - 01:03 AM

Scotts sells a stainless filter for $70.00 that you will never have to replace and it has real fine mesh that traps everything.

• SUnruh

Posted September 21, 2001 - 04:06 AM

i worked a deal through a dealer where you get a (dang i can't remember if it was 15 or 20%) off the Scotts filters.

try rob at

or the stock ones for under $9 at

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Glen_T

Posted September 21, 2001 - 05:13 AM

I've been reluctant to get a Scotts. I don't even wash and re-use the ones I have now. I've worried that cleaning a Scotts completely would be difficult. Do you need compressed air? What is the procedure?

Thanks for your replies!

• Mr._Bandicoot

Posted September 21, 2001 - 08:12 AM

Glen T, All you need to do is take a can of brake clean(any brand) and spray from the inside of the filter. This removes all of the particles and dry's fast. You can use air to blow it out if you feel the need, but it is not necessary.

• RetroThumper

Posted September 21, 2001 - 08:55 AM

Believe I paid $12.50 for the last one I bought.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.