I'm freaking out about my XR650L

15 replies to this topic
  • TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted October 27, 2003 - 07:25 PM

I've been riding my new 650L for the last few weeks. I have a bunch of hop up stuff in the boxes ready to put on to the bike to un-cork it etc. I haven't done any of it yet cause I'm so busy with my new job.

All I've done to the bike is put on tires and hand guards. Well the thing that's freaking me out is the fact that I've been riding the gnarly trails and having a blast! I'm not talking being selective on the trails I choose but going to the crappy, nasty places with boulders, gnarly climbs etc. and still having the energy to ride for 7 hours straight. I did 80 miles of mostly dirt and tight nasty trail and came out smiling. Is it just me??

Click here for places to ride a XR650L

• Ed_Buratti

Posted October 28, 2003 - 04:37 AM

It's not you. You're discovering what the rest of us XRl650 folks already know. The bike is a secret weapon. Good luck and enjoy.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted October 28, 2003 - 05:20 AM

:D :D :)

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted October 28, 2003 - 09:13 AM

I rode with my normal group and they didn't hold back and went thru some technical stuff in the boonies. They thought I would be dying and I thought so too. As the day wore on I saw fatigue setting in with some of the riders in the group but I felt fine with the big red pig. :D They asked me if the bike was heavy and I told them not really, it's not a pound over 375 with the mud on it! :D The kicker is this, I rode right out of my garage and rode tons of stuff before they even got unloaded. After their ride I still hit some trails on the way home. I'm having waaaay to much fun!!! I wish you guys were here. I'd take you guys riding with me... :)

• secretatlas

Posted October 28, 2003 - 09:21 AM

what were you riding before you got your 650L?

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted October 28, 2003 - 10:02 AM

I rode a bunch of different bikes and my last street legal bike was a tricked out 300cc XR250. I also rode a tricked out DR350 and even raced it in the A class at the Mauna Kea 200. I have a TM125 and a GasGas 250 along with the XR650L. The 125 is my favorite for the really sick stuff around here... The XR650L when looking at it logically, is the worst bike for these nasty trails but my smile tells me otherwise! :) :D

• secretatlas

Posted October 28, 2003 - 10:50 AM

i was wondering what you were doing with a 650l. i remember seeing photos of your sweet trails.

650l, i would think, would be the last bike a guy with experience and a liking for technical trails would go out and buy.

but it sounds like it's a diversion or at least a second/third bike.

did you get a deal on it or did someone give it to you?

btw: is that public land you guys ride on? how are the riding areas managed out there? the riding looks epic.

• Dual_Dog

Posted October 28, 2003 - 04:31 PM

It's like they say, it's not who has the best equipment, or who's the best rider.

It's who's having the most fun out ridin'! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoChris521

Posted October 29, 2003 - 04:56 AM

Looks like secert's never owned a L (do it all bike) :)

• Ed_Buratti

Posted October 29, 2003 - 06:39 AM

I absolutely could not agree with you more. Noone I ride with would even consider an XR650L, yet they all cannot believe that I have so much fun on mine. Just wait until that motor gets you out of a few jams, and you'll like it even more.

• secretatlas

Posted October 29, 2003 - 09:57 AM

Looks like secert's never owned a L (do it all bike) :)

naw, i had a xr650l when i was in college. i was pretty poor so i had to give up riding and racing until i graduated. i sold my truck and bought a xr650l and used it as my transportation. rode it for three years... even rode it from washington state to colorado and back. i loved that bike. trust me. i love each and every bike honda has built.

i was just surprised that someone riding terrain that TC rides would purposely go out and buy a 650l...unless he already had a couple in his quiver or unless he got a deal on one. that's all.

• BruceWA

Posted October 29, 2003 - 11:12 AM

TC...if you get bored with the XR650L on those trails you ride, consider a BMW GS1150. :)

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted October 29, 2003 - 01:10 PM

i was wondering what you were doing with a 650l. i remember seeing photos of your sweet trails.

650l, i would think, would be the last bike a guy with experience and a liking for technical trails would go out and buy.

but it sounds like it's a diversion or at least a second/third bike.

btw: is that public land you guys ride on? how are the riding areas managed out there? the riding looks epic.

I just bought it brand new recently to train and fly around the miles of Pineapple roads near my house. I didn't expect it to be so fun in the tight trails here. BTW 99% of the riding I do is on private land.

Hawaii is nothing and let me repeat, NOTHING like the mainland. The culture is different, the local people are different, the outlook on dirt bikes is different. It's not managed and it is nothing like anywhere in the mainland. Private land doesn't always mean private if you know what I mean. Some land owners just look the other way and some you stay away from. Only a small legal area here in Hawaii. It's the wild wild west out here but it's the best riding cause the rules are this. You get stupid and you pay dearly. If you're cool than most places it's cool to ride. It's what we like to call the Mountain rules. It was like that years ago in your states to. Once sue happy people come into the picture land owners are forced to shut you down. Now you can only ride where the state tells you to. Hawaii is far away from that but never under estimate the power of idiots! :)

• secretatlas

Posted October 29, 2003 - 02:13 PM

well said tc. enjoy it while it lasts!

• sonorawfo

Posted October 29, 2003 - 05:26 PM

I loved my XRL but did find that it would wear me down much more than my CR,(no suprise there), after buying the DRZ,s with a few mod,s I feel like a can ride harder and longer and in alot of situations can ride as fast as I could on the CR500, in fact was so happy with the DRZ that I sold the XRL more from money needs than anything else, I would have liked to have both, but I have not regetted the change, I ride 90+% offroad and just love thr DRZ. :)

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted October 29, 2003 - 09:16 PM

TC...if you get bored with the XR650L on those trails you ride, consider a BMW GS1150. :)

:D :D :D :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.