help needed! oil strainer/screen, broke stuck in frame

14 replies to this topic
  • new2it400

Posted June 13, 2012 - 12:39 PM

hi i am new to this, never been on a forum before,

anyway, i bought a 2002 wrf400 2 weeks ago, its only got 212 miles on it so its basically new in terms of engine use,

i did an oil/filter change today, step by step with manual,

i was undoing the strainer/screen nut and expecting a long mesh thing to come out of the frame, but to my horror it had come off and was inside the frame still, it took me 2 hours fiddling about to finally get it out,

now its out i need to buy a new one, i dont know wheather it comes as a complete thing? nut with strainer/screen on it or i just have to buy the strainer/screen on its own??

ive tried ebay ive tried google search, but nothing comes up!!!! :devil:

can anyone help point me in the right direction??? PLEASE

• still2smokin

Posted June 13, 2012 - 02:40 PM

Thumpertalk store has oem parts as well as rockymountainatvmc.com and bikebandit.com.

Edited by still2smokin, June 13, 2012 - 04:08 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 13, 2012 - 03:18 PM

It's one complete unit. The strainer is supposed to be permanently attached to the nut that threads up into the frame.
Maniac

• new2it400

Posted June 14, 2012 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for your info, i now know its a complete unit, (maniac)

also, on the oil filter cap theres 3 bolts?

well the one at the bottom is an allen bolt and is abit different to the other 2, abit thicker and shorter thread, but that bolt i have (allen) is

threaded so i was wondering if a normal bold like the other 2 would be ok?

just asking because that bolt seems to go through a hole with an O ring,

and because its a slighty thicker bolt, if i use a normal one i might get a leak???

ive explained it best i can, hope you understand what i am rambling on about ha,

thanks guys

i am new to this forum stuff and think its greart how people can share info!!

thanks alot :devil:

• MANIAC998

Posted June 14, 2012 - 03:54 AM

You won't have an external leak, but it might not hold the internal pressure that it's designed too. What happened to the stock bolt? Probably the threads are buggered up a bit? This is common. I personally would use the stock bolt in that location if at all possible.
Maniac

• new2it400

Posted June 14, 2012 - 06:50 AM

hi there again,

maniac) i still have the stock bold but the thread is buggered, but funny enough the thread inside the casing seems to be fine as ive tried a

different bold in it, (strange)

were will i have to look for a new stock bolt? ive looked on ebay but they dont seem to be identical bolts, just copy kits,

maybe contact yamaha its self!! ??

just one other thing (maniac) you know the stainer that i mentioned in earlier posts, do i really need one or is it an important part??

sorry about my lack of knowledge i am new to these bikes...

thanks

Edited by new2it400, June 14, 2012 - 07:49 AM.

• dirtbikekid32

Posted June 14, 2012 - 01:33 PM

hi there again,

maniac) i still have the stock bold but the thread is buggered, but funny enough the thread inside the casing seems to be fine as ive tried a

different bold in it, (strange)

were will i have to look for a new stock bolt? ive looked on ebay but they dont seem to be identical bolts, just copy kits,

maybe contact yamaha its self!! ??

just one other thing (maniac) you know the stainer that i mentioned in earlier posts, do i really need one or is it an important part??

sorry about my lack of knowledge i am new to these bikes...

thanks

Go to your local Yamaha Dealer and order the proper bolt for your oil filter cover..
While your there order the plug and strainer as well. Good idea to have it in there..
Also, i noticed in youir original post you said your bike was an 02 400, the WR was a 426 in 02, they didnt make a WR 400 in 02, so your bike is either an 02 426, or an 99-00 WR 400..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted June 14, 2012 - 06:01 PM

new2it400, The easiest way to get the proper bolt is thru Yamaha, and yes, it's normal for the bolt to get buggered up but the case stays fine. It has something to do with the way the oil is pumped thru the engine. Debris gets hung up on the bolt, and then when the bolt is removed, it buggers up the bolt threads. It's fairly common. As for the frame strainer being needed or not, I can only say that's your call. I've never needed one or even cleaned one, except back in '98. I had my frame powdercoated, and when I flushed out the frame, plenty of crap came out that the strainer was holding back. Other than that, I've never had one ever collect any debris. So it's your call!!!
Maniac

• still2smokin

Posted June 14, 2012 - 11:00 PM

Seriously just go one of the oem parts sites I mentioned,
you can figure out tons by just looking at the exploded views, part numbers and prices.
I have even printed out the exploded views to help with re-assembly.

Any place that has oem parts will be Yamaha Genuine parts
and should be a perfect fit eliminating any guess work.

All 3 of my oil filter cover bolts are different sizes and if I lost one I would not hesitate ordering
one from a oem site and usually would have it with in a week.

Dealership works well too but is a little more expensive and requires a trip to order and one to pick up.

• new2it400

Posted June 15, 2012 - 05:12 AM

HI GUYS THANKS FOR THE INFO,

I HAVE BEEN ON THE PHONE TO YAMAHA, THEY CAN ORDER ME THE PLUG/STRAINER FOR £14.99 AND THE ALLEN HEAD BOLT FOR £2.15

SO IAM VERY HAPPY WITH THAT,

(MANIAC) HI MATE, I CANT REALLY UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THE YEARS 400, 426,

I HAVE A CERTIFICATE FROM YAMAHA, THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS

Dear sirs,

thankyou for your enquiry regarding your yamaha motorcycle.

May we confirm that engine number H309E-****** and chassis number

CH*4W-0***50 relates to a yamaha WR400F which was manufactured for sale in 2002 for the uk market.

we must advise however that your machine was constructed for closed circuit competition use only

and not on public roads. The machine therefore does not comply with the road vehicle (construction and use) regulations

and the road vehicle lighting regulations, that were applicable at the time of manufacture.

we trust that this information is of assistance to you.

yours faithfully,

YAMAHA MOTOR (UK) LTD

Don Manley
customer service co-ordinator
customer service department

HI GUYS THATS WORD FOR WORD OF THE CERTIFICATE I HAVE FOR THE BIKE SO I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON HA??

ANY IDEAS?? THANKS ALL,

• dirtbikekid32

Posted June 15, 2012 - 02:02 PM

I guess maybe they made the WR 400 for sale in the UK in 02?? weird.. Wasnt a 400 in the US in 02, only a 426..

• bg10459

Posted June 15, 2012 - 02:28 PM

new2it400, The easiest way to get the proper bolt is thru Yamaha, and yes, it's normal for the bolt to get buggered up but the case stays fine. It has something to do with the way the oil is pumped thru the engine. Debris gets hung up on the bolt, and then when the bolt is removed, it buggers up the bolt threads. It's fairly common. As for the frame strainer being needed or not, I can only say that's your call. I've never needed one or even cleaned one, except back in '98. I had my frame powdercoated, and when I flushed out the frame, plenty of crap came out that the strainer was holding back. Other than that, I've never had one ever collect any debris. So it's your call!!!
Maniac

FYI, that bolt is also the drain for the filter cavity. Oil and particles from the dirty side of the filter drain out that hole when you remove the bolt. You need to be careful cleaning it to make sure no chunks bugger up the threads. Some people put a small ball bearing in the drain hole in the bottom of the filter cavity to prevent the crap from getting on that bolt and threads.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 15, 2012 - 04:01 PM

bg, That's the info I was looking for! I knew it was something like that, but didn't want to give bad advise, so I kept quiet. Thank you Sir!!! As for the year of your machine, I never doubted you! And don't worry about Yamaha telling you it's for closed-course competition use only. That's just them covering there arse!!!
Maniac

• MaxPower

Posted June 16, 2012 - 05:03 AM

If you need a part that was missed in the order to Yamaha let me know. I have a extra WR frame I can put it from

• new2it400

Posted June 17, 2012 - 11:47 AM

hi guys thanks for all your info it was good knowing people are out there willing to help....

:devil:

JUST ONE MORE THING???

how to i upload pics to this site? i would like to put pictures of my bikes on here!! thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.