Brake rotors

5 replies to this topic
  • RasmusDK

Posted June 13, 2012 - 11:35 AM

Iam thinking about making some new brake rotors for my bike, I want a solid rear disc so it dont eat pads as quickly with mud on them. A friend of min has access to laser cutter and I can draw them myself. But what material should I use? And how straight do they have to be?

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2012 - 11:51 AM

The OEM discs are stainless steel. Carbon steel is easier to work with, gives better braking performance, but rusts and wears faster.

Omitting the slots and holes will not solve the pad wear problem, and may in fact make matters worse, since the mud will have nowhere to escape from between the pad and rotor.

• RasmusDK

Posted June 14, 2012 - 12:26 AM

Cheers. Solid discs help cause the mud gets scraped off when you brake, and you therefor dont keep dragging it around in all the cutouts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Cheers. Solid discs help cause the mud gets scraped off when you brake, and you therefor dont keep dragging it around in all the cutouts.

That's actually not the case, but carry on.

To address the question of straightness, the thickness of the rotor should vary no more than 0.05mm (.002"), and the runout, or axial deflection limit is 0.15mm (.006")

• MaxPower

Posted June 14, 2012 - 09:40 AM

I've seen teams change rear rotors to a solid disc before in the mud.What is the reason you feel that is the wrong thing to do Gray Racer?
My personal solution to mud that bad is for me not to ride that weekend

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2012 - 10:29 AM

The most effective way to address mud on the rotor is "wave" cutting both the inner and outer edges. The angled leading edges of the waves scrape away mud quite well. Solid rotors are sometimes an improvement over those with round drilled holes, but not always, or even usually. To a degree, it depends on the mud involved (size of the grit). When they are drilled, it's true that mud can hide out in the holes, and if the sand in the mud is very coarse, that can cause trouble when a good sized chunk of gravel gets caught. But with solid rotors, that same mud simply builds up on the leading edge of the brake pads and runs under the full length of the pad, with nowhere to escape to. It ends up being kind of like choosing between being shot or hung. Angled slots are preferable to holes, IMO, and running a good stiff brush against the rotor mounted on the swing arm may be the most helpful thing you can do.

To be fair, as a desert racer in SoCal, I don't really deal with this kind of thing that often. I usually use your approach. :devil:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.