Water pump cracked and Impeller destroyed

2 replies to this topic
  • paramedicmeyer

Posted June 12, 2012 - 09:17 PM

I ride a 2010 YZ450F with a boyseen water pump cover and impeller. Last ride I cracked the case on a rock. Unfortunately the spot I was in required me to ride my bike about 500 feet up a hill. At the top of the hill I heard a loud cracking and grinding sound. Later after pulling off the pump cover I found the impeller completely destroyed. I was able to recover the 6 large impeller blades but there was a lot of smaller metal material in the pump. My concern is that metal has moved through the system and will result in damage to the new impeller, the radiators, or any other part of the cooling system. I have flushed it with water. Anybody have a similar situation and what did they do?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2012 - 06:47 AM

I don't think you have too much to worry about. It's a simple matter to remove the radiators and flush them with soapy water in both directions. Then run soapy water down through the head and cylinder with the pump cover off. Rinse thoroughly.

The water pump is not a tight clearance kind of thing, and most anything big enough to damage it would have a tough time getting from the cylinder up into the radiators in the first place.

• paramedicmeyer

Posted June 20, 2012 - 12:45 PM

Advice worked great with no problems. Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.