Anybody woods racing a 2012 WR?

12 replies to this topic
  • gsa102

Posted June 12, 2012 - 08:39 AM

I was sniffing around one the other day and was thinking about trading the 07 in if it is really that good. Does it have the same clutch basket so that I can reuse my rekluse?

• kvillektm

Posted June 13, 2012 - 04:06 PM

Not racing it, but yes your rekluse will fit. I am using a zstart pro that was in an 07 wr, then a 2010 yz 450f ( bad idea) and now in a 12 wr50 (another bad idea). I am still undecided, only had it 3 weeks. I have the comp ecu and throttle stop removed, still stock muffler, def need something freeer flowing, the muffler gets hotter than the headpipe! Any questions if you are really considering one pm me.

• n16ht5

Posted June 13, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Why? Just ride yours... Trading in a bike is a poor financial move

• gsa102

Posted June 14, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Ideally to get improved overall handling from the new chassis, with a "lighter" feel.

I feel the 07 forks are ok for MX but poor for the woods, and have no confidence in them. And the forks were sprung and revalved for me, but I am not satisfied with the setup. The shock works pretty well.

The weight wears me out. I am faster on my KDX in the woods. The WR is faster on open ground.

• kvillektm

Posted June 14, 2012 - 04:26 PM

Why? Just ride yours... Trading in a bike is a poor financial move

I didn't know there were any good financial moves in dirtbikes or any thing with a motor for that matter.

• n16ht5

Posted June 15, 2012 - 11:19 AM

I didn't know there were any good financial moves in dirtbikes or any thing with a motor for that matter.

Haha, good point... I meant trading in Vs. Selling. They don't give you much on a trade. And the new ones are nice, but wait till you find a used one. Lose $1000 just by rolling out of the dealer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted June 15, 2012 - 11:21 AM

Ideally to get improved overall handling from the new chassis, with a "lighter" feel.

I feel the 07 forks are ok for MX but poor for the woods, and have no confidence in them. And the forks were sprung and revalved for me, but I am not satisfied with the setup. The shock works pretty well.

The weight wears me out. I am faster on my KDX in the woods. The WR is faster on open ground.

You must not have a very good revalve.. my stock valved forks are awesome in the woods...
I was able to keep with my friend on a new Husky 300 for the most part.. and he is a really good trials rider

Edited by n16ht5, June 15, 2012 - 11:24 AM.

• tribalbc

Posted June 16, 2012 - 05:58 AM

I think you answered your own question. Get another 2 stroke :devil:
I raced my 07 WR in the woods for a few years. I revalved the suspension with Smart Performance, put the bike on a Jenny Craig program, motor mods, thought it was pretty good in the woods.
Then I got back on a 2 stroke. Bought an old RM250 to see what I thought of the old 2 stroke again. There isn't even a comparison. I am so much faster, and have so much energy left at the end of the race. The 2 stroke is so much lighter, not just in actual weight, but in feel when actually riding.
So I've ended up rebuilding the RM into a woods racing weapon and keep the WR around for more open cruisy riding.
I certainly don't think the new WR is the answer with fuel injection and HOW? many extra pounds.

• MaxPower

Posted June 16, 2012 - 06:16 AM

remember just a few years ago when I bike was just 3 or 4 pounds heavier than the next bike, the magazines made a big deal about it?The made is sound unrideable . Now its not even mentioned unless there is a 15 pound spread.
From now on I dont want a bike for racing if I cant lift it on a stand myself. Its come to companies making hydraulic stands for dirtbikes now. At least I know the earth wont be ruined from exhaust pollution now

• zuch95701

Posted June 18, 2012 - 04:46 PM

I have been running my '12 for a few months now. Im a B class rider and i have nothing but good things to say about the bike. It is magic in the rocks and the fuel injection is amazing. Went for a fun ride the other day and had a elevation change from 4000 ft to 11,000 ft. The other guys on ktm 300s, yz250f's, a kdx 200 all were having issues with the elevation. The FI in the wr didn't even hesitate. The bike is already rapidly running away from stock, comp ecu, fmf pipe, scotts stabilizer, ims tank, all the body protection and tubliss front and rear. But it was a good investment and I do not feel the weight at aill. It feels like my old 04 yz250f in the woods.

• travertt

Posted June 19, 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hey n16ht5....great video on that mountain single track. Somewhat similar to the stuff we ride.

Was that a chest mounted camera you were using?? I'm trying to convince one of our guys to switch from the helmet mount to the chest mount.,,it gets you much more involved in the "feel" of the ride in my opinion.

Thanks

• n16ht5

Posted June 19, 2012 - 09:38 AM

thanks, it's actually a chin mount. I have used a chest mount, but I like the chin mount best. I cut a piece of aluminum plate and mounted it to the side of the chin.

• travertt

Posted June 19, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Chin mount..like that idea!!

Any chance you could post a pix??

I'm sending a link to your video to my buddy with the Go-Pro....maybe get him to make one up.

Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.