Do i need a new clutch?

13 replies to this topic
  • jonesy383

Posted June 10, 2012 - 02:20 PM

i have an 01 wr426 the clutch works fine but i have noticed that the adjustment screw on the clutch for the cable is wound all the way out leaving no more adjustment, is my clutch on its way out? and how do i check if it is? thanks

• MANIAC998

Posted June 10, 2012 - 04:07 PM

One method of checking is to get the bike warmed up, and then while sitting at a standstill, put the bike in third gear, rev the engine up and slowly let out the clutch. If the bike doesn't die but instead keeps on reving high, then your clutch is slipping and will need to be replaced soon. Another method involves taking the plates out and measuring them with a dial/digital caliper and comparing the measurement with the spec's in the manual.
Maniac

• jonesy383

Posted June 10, 2012 - 04:38 PM

ok cheers mate, i know its not slipping so i think i will take the plates out an measure them, i just dont want it packing it in the middle of the bush :cry:

• E4x4Eric

Posted June 10, 2012 - 06:07 PM

One method of checking is to get the bike warmed up, and then while sitting at a standstill, put the bike in third gear, rev the engine up and slowly let out the clutch. If the bike doesn't die but instead keeps on reving high, then your clutch is slipping and will need to be replaced soon. Another method involves taking the plates out and measuring them with a dial/digital caliper and comparing the measurement with the spec's in the manual.
Maniac

Good info. Thanks,

• jonesy383

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:03 PM

will i lose much oil when i take the clutch cover off as i just serviced it?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:42 PM

ok cheers mate, i know its not slipping so i think i will take the plates out an measure them, i just dont want it packing it in the middle of the bush :cry:

You MUST be able to adjust a little bit of slack into the clutch lever using the adjuster. The entire mechanism is kinda confusing, but in a nutshell, the more slack you are able to adjust into the lever means the more clutch you have. When you can't adjust any more, that means that your clutch is worn out.

You'd better get some new fiber plates. Don't wait. You don't have much time left.

regarding it not slipping, you can't really feel it, but it will slip every so slightly, especially when the clutch heats up and the plates expand a bit. It will cause it to wear even faster.

No need to measure the plates at this point. Get some new ones.

Lay the bike over on its left side, remove the clutch cover. You will not lose any oil.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted June 11, 2012 - 12:22 PM

Could also be the cable... the cable on my clutch behaved in this manner on a long ride before I was able to get back and replace it. Some of the strands start breaking which weakens the cable and allows it to stretch. You compensate by cranking out the adjuster. The clutch itself works fine, but more stretching and more broken strands lead to more adjusting until you have none left.

With the age of that bike it would still make sense to check the clutch though. If it is the original clutch it could very well be worn to the limit and ready to go soon.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonesy383

Posted June 12, 2012 - 12:39 AM

ok so i took the clutch apart and the steel plates are a little burnt, do they normally look like this?

• MANIAC998

Posted June 12, 2012 - 04:02 AM

No, they shouldn't be burnt. Sounds like too much slippage has been going on. What type of riding have you been doing? Tough, tight singletrack? Mud bogs? Or have you been hammering the clutch mercilously?
Maniac

• jonesy383

Posted June 13, 2012 - 01:15 PM

no idea mate ive only just bought the bike, think i will replace the clutch. can i buy just a clutch kit and a new cable or is there anything else i should buy/check?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 13, 2012 - 01:51 PM

no idea mate ive only just bought the bike, think i will replace the clutch. can i buy just a clutch kit and a new cable or is there anything else i should buy/check?

Unless the steel plates are warped, you should reuse them. Clean them up a big and scrub them good to get the junk off. Just replace the fibers. Get the OEM fibers. Those are some of the best ones. DO NOT buy the cheaper TUSK fiber plates.

Readjust your cable and enjoy your ride.

• jonesy383

Posted June 17, 2012 - 11:39 PM

i have measure the fibres and they are still in spec, but the steels look a little worse for wear.. dont tell me that i have just ordered a tusk clutch kit :devil:
Posted Image

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 18, 2012 - 06:38 AM

i have measure the fibres and they are still in spec, but the steels look a little worse for wear.. dont tell me that i have just ordered a tusk clutch kit :devil:

Your steels look perfectly fine. One day, I'll take a picture of my steel plates and show you what a "burnt" plate really looks like. Scuff those up with a little sandpaper and put them in the bike.

I love many of the tusk products, but NOT those clutch plates. They swell and shrink a lot in my opinion. I've tried them more than once and found myself having to adjust the knob all the time when in the single track and on the clutch a lot. They are not as good with the heavy abuse.

OEM plates are the way to go and will last a couple of years. The Tusk plates will last 6-8 months.

Send the tusk plates back.

• jonesy383

Posted June 18, 2012 - 01:18 PM

thanks for your help mate, it must have been my cable that had stretched only reason i pulled it apart was because i had no adjustment left. the fibres measured 2.92 average. i ordered a new cable so il put the old clutch back in with a new cable see how i go. cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.