2000 WR400F Electrical Problems

8 replies to this topic
  • lach_23

Posted June 08, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hey guys,

So I've just bought a barely used Yamaha WR400F for my first bike on my learners with the idea that I can turn it into a tard. However to get it road rego'd here in Australia I need to get all the light working (no surprises). So me and my mate have been trying to figure our the wiring loom and what goes where. Finally we had a pretty good idea where most things went just had a few more wires hanging loose and had no idea what they lead to or what they did, secondly the bike can kick over no problems at all but none of the indicators work, the back light for the speedo doesn't come on and the speedo its' self does not turn on. We got a amp or voltage tester to check some wires if they were live or and sure enough some of them are. The back-light for the speedo doesn't even come on either.

Has anyone got any idea at all about why my lights/indicators are coming on and what I can do to fix it.

I figured out why the speedo isn't working as well, the cable has been taken of the front fork for some reason so I'm looking at a new cable or getting a Trail tech Vapor speedo and hooking that up. But I don't know if it would be worth the trouble/ have have I gotta get over these problems first before installing one and get the old speedo working first.

I would really appreciate someones help as this could just as well save me some moolah.

• Thommo_400f

Posted June 09, 2012 - 04:15 AM

Speedo could be a problem because the hub might be stuffed as well. About $100 for a hub and cable or he same for a trail tech.
Buy a new flasher relay to start with. About $20. But if you want LEDs you will need led specific flasher or add resistors to each light.
Download a wiring diagram. I used to have one to do just what you are doing. It makes it really easy.

• lach_23

Posted June 10, 2012 - 04:40 AM

Yeah I've got a wiring diagram, well the one that comes in the instruction manual anyway. So really its better off to get the vapor tech cause that would have the parts with it to get everything going right?

And at the moment my speedo doesn't even work, nor the lights. Just cant figure it out aye. PIA.

• Thommo_400f

Posted June 10, 2012 - 03:14 PM

The speedo backlights are tiny push in bulbs. About 50c each.
Just pop the wires out from the back of the speedo and the bulb will be attached to the wires.
They are normally held in just by the rubber plug.
Personally I think the vapor is a Better option since it can have rpm and water temp and hour meter as well.
All you can do to get the wiring right is get a multimeter and start testing circuits.
I actually use a jumpstart kit to power some of the wiring so I didn't have to run the bike constantly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lach_23

Posted June 10, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Alright sounds good. I think the backlight bulb for the speedo is still good though, doesn't seem to be blown or broken. Do you know of anywhere here in Australia that sells the Vapor?

• Thommo_400f

Posted June 10, 2012 - 07:13 PM

Sorry. Prices are higher than I thought.
In Australia they are about $160
I'm sure I got mine for $120 direct from USA. But that was 6 mths ago.

• lach_23

Posted June 10, 2012 - 07:24 PM

Jebus-alright then. Aahh geez. Alright i think I saw some on ebay for like 110 bucks from the US.

• Thommo_400f

Posted June 10, 2012 - 07:38 PM

If you can test your hub by borrowing a cable you might save a whole lot of stuffing around. Since you already have a speedo and assuming its not seized.

• lach_23

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:05 PM

I ended up takin it up the road to an auto electrician to get all the lights etc working. Just going to get a vapor and get it all out of the way. Oh well. Thanks for the help though mate much appreciated.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.