stock jetting makes bike over heat?

4 replies to this topic
  • 13+

Posted June 06, 2012 - 09:15 AM

iv read on here a couple times that he stock jetting makes the bike run hot or over heat, i want to know more about this but no one goes in depth with it. is this true? thanks

- 13+

07 wr450f

• german88

Posted June 06, 2012 - 09:32 AM

iv read on here a couple times that he stock jetting makes the bike run hot or over heat, i want to know more about this but no one goes in depth with it. is this true? thanks

- 13+

07 wr450f

I think what most people are refering to is a lean jetting condition the bike comes in from the factory. Atleast that's what I've taken from all the info on here. It becomes necessary to richen up the jetting once all the free mods are done and there is a ton of info to that end on here. Try the search feature for more insight...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stealth13

Posted June 06, 2012 - 10:09 AM

Mines on stock jetting with free mods and it will overheat in heavy traffic . I have to keep it moving

• Bandit9

Posted June 06, 2012 - 01:08 PM

If they are lean, which they are stock, especially with the free mods on airbox and exhaust, they run hotter. Even more so when heavy clutch use is being done on slow technical section. Jetting the bike a little richer makes it run cooler, so no over heating, when it's not supposed to. The only time my 06 would start over heating is when blazing new trail through all the vines, etc...which is where it is supposed to over heat. No air flow at all in 95 temp and 90 humidity. Like Veitnam in our woods in the summer.

• kawi380

Posted June 06, 2012 - 05:41 PM

- 13+

07 wr450f

The bikes are jetted very lean and are very plugged up from the factory in order to qualify as an off-road bike in the US. We have retarded strict EPA :cry: standards as well as Kalifornia has CARB :ride: which is even worse.

Yamaha made a sweet motor but it would not pass all the stupid crap the US gov't wanted it to. So they plugged the airbox, put very small jets, installed a single position slide needle, replaced the correct throttle screw with a shortened one, and plugged the exhaust. There is also a smog pump which recirculates some of the exhaust gases back through the combustion chamber to make sure all those dangerous unburnt hydrocarbons are properly disposed of. Almost forgot they also have two ignition maps which change the timing a little (this doesn't really affect jetting or flow through the motor). All of this is :lol:

Yamaha actually makes a kit to reverse all the stupid stuff they were forced to install on the WR including a smog pump block off, better jetting, correct throttle stop screw, etc. :cry:

In stock trim from the factory the bike runs very lean at any elevation and will over heat easily. This is because it can't flow air very well, hence the hot exhaust gases remian trapped in the motor causing excess heat, and because there is not enough nice cool fuel in the mix.

Get rid of all the garbage and the wr is a mean machine. I love mine :p

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.