Mixed valves?

2 replies to this topic
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted June 06, 2012 - 05:29 AM

So I ended up replacing my intake valves with stainless (06 450) I am trying to get the valve clearances figured out. I installed all three valves in the order they were in the packaging, the middle valve has a different part number than the two on the outside so I was careful not to mix them up. But here is my problem, the middle valve has no clearance (even without a shim) and the clearance one of the outside valves is pretty far out (needs a 215 shim).

My original problem was bad valve seals and one valve stem lost the tip so I doubt it is a problem with the seats. My thinking is that those valves were mixed up in the packaging. But I really don't know what the difference is between the middle and outside valves so that is just a guess.

Any ideas?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Compare the lengths of the valves. The center valve should be shorter.

What brand did you use?

• Slow and Jerky

Posted June 07, 2012 - 11:22 AM

They were mixed up, I measured them last night and re-installed. The middle one is a little shorter, the gaps are all about the same now. In theory I just need to get the correct shims and get it put back together.

Thanks!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.