CRF230F Smoking

11 replies to this topic
  • MSteinbacher

Posted June 05, 2012 - 04:54 PM

I have noticed that whenever i start my 230 it starts up right away but every turn of the throttle smoke comes out like crazy, its a white/grey smoke. It doesnt seem to go away as the bike warms up either, any thoughts on what it could be?

• calbikeman2

Posted June 05, 2012 - 06:54 PM

How is the bike's history as to oil changes (including proper type of oil), air filter cleaning, proper storage techniques, and valve adjustments? As an amateur, I'd say it sounds like you're burning oil that gets into combustion chamber via bad rings/cylinder walls/valve stems/guides(?) due to insufficient maintenance. Perhaps there's a miniscule chance of factory defect(s)....

How about some expert opinions?

• MSteinbacher

Posted June 05, 2012 - 07:58 PM

How is the bike's history as to oil changes (including proper type of oil), air filter cleaning, proper storage techniques, and valve adjustments? As an amateur, I'd say it sounds like you're burning oil that gets into combustion chamber via bad rings/cylinder walls/valve stems/guides(?) due to insufficient maintenance. Perhaps there's a miniscule chance of factory defect(s)....

How about some expert opinions?

I have taken good care of it, always clean the oil after a couple of rides or when i see its dirty, same with the air filter, and keep it in my garage. Thanks!

Edited by MSteinbacher, June 05, 2012 - 07:58 PM.

• calbikeman2

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:57 PM

S. Carolina---do you have much humidity in garage, such that it might settle into combustion chamber through open exhaust? Resulting corrosion might compromise rings/cylinder/piston. (They make exhaust plugs to limit moisture intrusion, and they suggest squirting oil in cylinder for longer storage/dormancy.) How about spark plug/valve maintenance? Is it possible you had any intake leaks where dirt by-passed filter? I've seen bikes where filter was badly aligned or torn, for example.

Edited by calbikeman2, June 05, 2012 - 09:02 PM.

• MSteinbacher

Posted June 06, 2012 - 06:16 AM

S. Carolina---do you have much humidity in garage, such that it might settle into combustion chamber through open exhaust? Resulting corrosion might compromise rings/cylinder/piston. (They make exhaust plugs to limit moisture intrusion, and they suggest squirting oil in cylinder for longer storage/dormancy.) How about spark plug/valve maintenance? Is it possible you had any intake leaks where dirt by-passed filter? I've seen bikes where filter was badly aligned or torn, for example.

It actually has not been that humid this year, and the garage is nice and cool, i have not changed spark plugs, but valves have been checked, and intake leak is a possibility, the old air filter had signs of wear around where a piece of plastic connects to it, which caused some minor holes. And it hasn't sat for long without someone riding it. Longest is probably a week.

Edited by MSteinbacher, June 06, 2012 - 06:16 AM.

• calbikeman2

Posted June 06, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Sounds most likely that holes in intake tract let in damaging grit.

Just as another (unlikely?) factor, have you used the proper viscosity oil (for example, maybe 0-5wt could have caused damage, or straight 40wt could have taken too long to pump up), and have you used proper 4-stroke motorcycle-type oil (not "energy-saving" car-type which can damage your wet clutch)?

Any input from experts?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Confederate

Posted June 06, 2012 - 02:08 PM

just a few important questions. What year is it? How many total hours on motor estimate? How about a compression test ?

• Mikel.Laundry

Posted June 06, 2012 - 02:17 PM

before you do that , after you go for a ride pull the dip stick. does air come out? is your oil lower than when you started? when you put you hand infront of the exhaust when the smoke is coming out , does your hand feel oily after? is there water in your gas? is your air filter wet?

• MSteinbacher

Posted June 06, 2012 - 05:59 PM

Sounds most likely that holes in intake tract let in damaging grit.
Just as another (unlikely?) factor, have you used the proper viscosity oil (for example, maybe 0-5wt could have caused damage, or straight 40wt could have taken too long to pump up), and have you used proper 4-stroke motorcycle-type oil (not "energy-saving" car-type which can damage your wet clutch)?
Any input from experts?

Proper oil has always been put in, i measured it again today and it seems that there was too much oil in it, which is probably the problem, tomorrow i am going to refill it to proper levels and see if it goes away.

just a few important questions. What year is it? How many total hours on motor estimate? How about a compression test ?

Its an 08 with probably 40 hrs, compression is good.

before you do that , after you go for a ride pull the dip stick. does air come out? is your oil lower than when you started? when you put you hand infront of the exhaust when the smoke is coming out , does your hand feel oily after? is there water in your gas? is your air filter wet?

No air comes out, oil levels seem to be constant, doesnt feel really oily although the oil levels were high, no water in gas and the air filter was replaced today, the other one was not wet though.

• calbikeman2

Posted June 06, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Let us know what happens after you fill to proper level. Maybe the oil might take a while to burn out? I'm pretty sure that a lot of us are interested in this/your situation!

• MSteinbacher

Posted June 07, 2012 - 12:37 PM

Let us know what happens after you fill to proper level. Maybe the oil might take a while to burn out? I'm pretty sure that a lot of us are interested in this/your situation!

After refilling with the proper amount, there is no more smoking! Thanks for all the help

• calbikeman2

Posted June 07, 2012 - 01:46 PM

Glad to read your solution. You're probably not the first or last to overfill. I've had to empty some fresh oil out due to over filling---more than once! Good to read that returning to correct level appears to be such a quick, complete fix!!!!!!!!

Edited by calbikeman2, June 07, 2012 - 01:47 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Stickey: Jetting the 230F (Power-up Kit) by 230F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  509 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF150/230 Pics and Mods by jason230

• * * * * -
  • Hot  775 replies
Forums
Photo

What is the loudest aftermarket exhaust/muffler for a 09 crf230f by 230REVHEAD

• Hot  48 replies
Forums
Photo

suspension by Crf230_Honda

• 14 replies
Forums
Photo

New gal here! So glad this part of TT exists! by mayorblurps

General   General Forums   Thumpette Forum
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.