knee braces??

7 replies to this topic
  • crazyadam

Posted September 17, 2001 - 08:52 AM

what is the best pair of knee braces that you guys have used or seen? the asterisk pair looks good.. mxsouth has a decent price. just wondering if I can save any more by spending my $$. OH -WELL I am starting to think knee protetion is a good investment. thanks again everybody!!!

• troyoda

Posted September 17, 2001 - 12:33 PM

Asterisk is far superior to anything in its price range. I purchased a pair a couple of months ago to help prevent knee problems. I can wear them all day without any ill effects. Although it does feel good taking them off at the end of the day.

There are a lot of TT posts dealing with the pros and cons of knee braces for you to search. While I don’t believe that knee braces are the cure all elixir, I do believe that they will help avoid problems in some instances. To me they’re worth the added insurance for $550. One of the posts referenced this test article which I found informative.
http://dirtrider.net...dex_braces.html

• sirhk

Posted September 17, 2001 - 01:35 PM

I second the Asterisk. In my opinion they are better then the CTI2. I've posted many long descriptions on threads here. Search for knee brace or Asterisk. I'll paste a generic response to an email to this that I've kept. This is long so beware!! That's why I just kept it instead of rewriting it everytime someone asks.

My background is as follows. I tore the ACL in my left knee 8-9 years ago when I was about 15 y/o. Had it fixed using a graft from another ligament (that I can't remember the name of). I didn't use the Cadaver ligament which I've heard is a fast recovery time. Anyways, the insurance that I was covered by my parents with wouldn't cover braces. CTI2 has been known as the best brace on the market for any impact sport but the cost of the one with the options I wanted was around $1000 a piece. That was with a knee cup, ACL strap, and some extra padding. Anyways if I remember right it was probably 5 months before I was on a bike again after (not to scare you) what I remember being some very painful rehab. I purchased the cheap neoprene brace with metal hinges that I believe someone else mentioned for like $30 at a sports store. I thought that these would help but it was probably more piece of mind then anything else. I say this cause they are flimsy and pretty obvious that any force strong enough to injure your knee would probably just bend the metal bracing on those. I wore those on both knees and then 7 months ago (New Years weekend) I crashed really hard and messed up my right knee while wearing those braces. I don't know the damage this time but don't think it was too bad, probably just torn cartilage/meniscus. After that I started looking into real braces. I never bought them before for a few reasons, money and stupidity/ignorance. Now I've graduated college and have a decent job and recently injured my good knee. I started researching braces and was close to shelling out over $2000 on a pair of CTI2's when I heard about the Asterisk. At this time they weren't even for sale but I called and talked to Brad Freeman for over an hour on the phone with tons of questions. I'd heard about things like braces causing leg breaks and all sorts of stuff. I feel that Brad gave me an honest review of the affects of wearing braces as well as a honest comparison between some of the top braces. There is a lot of detail in this so I suggest calling Brad at Asterisk or give me a ring at work M-F 8-5 Pacific. 949-862-3497 and I could go into detail but Brad will be able to explain everything WAY better then me since he's the expert. I think he gave an honest review because the Asterisk wasn't the best for everything in his opinion and the owner of his company (Jim Castillo) also owns Innovation Designs (CTI2 maker). Brad has worked for both companies so he knows both products as well as a lot about the other competitors on the market. He also invited me to come down since I live relatively close and check out the factory and try on some preproduction units. I was able to strap on the a CTI2 as well as some of Innovation's other braces and then an Asterisk brace. My personal comparison between the CTI2 and Asterisk was that they were very similar. Quality wise they are Awesome!! Fit, the CTI2 is perfect because it is custom made for your leg. The one I tried on was for a leg similar to mine but not exact. The Asterisk is a s,m,l,xl sizing that has adjustments to help closely contour your leg. The Asterisk has a better knee cup and covers more of your leg. I was absolutely blown away walking in them which is all I could do at the factory, unfortunately they didn't have a practice track with a new bike for me to test on. I honestly felt like I had a new knee again. With my recent injury I can't sprint or run fast because my knee doesn't feel stable but with the braces I can. I think the CTI2 and Asterisk are very comparable but the Asterisk has better coverage and is basically 1/4 of the cost. Riding with them is great. After you make the initial adjustments the 1st time you wear them they are easy to put on. It's just like putting on one more piece of protective gear. After about 5 minutes of riding I forget they are on. I used to rush back to the truck to take off the old neoprene braces cause they were hot and very irritating. I sit around all day with the Asterisk braces on. After using them I honestly can't believe I ever rode without them. I think everyone should be wearing them just like a helmet. $550 is still a lot of money for me and it's been a while since I paid that much for something and didn't really think later on "Hmmm was that really worth the money?" Don't tell anyone but, after using them for about 3 months now every weekend I would pay 2-3 times that much for these if I knew what I know now. Here is the only flaw so far. The riding pants that I wear are the baggy freeride pants. Mine unzip into shorts. I ride without the pant legs so that they are basically shorts and the braces. Because the braces are not under pants they have destroyed my graphics. If you aren't worried about your stickers then you won't have any problem and if you wear pants you probably won't have problems either. The braces tuck into the boots and extend well into the shorts. I honestly feel that I have more protection then riders with pants and just knee cups and KNOW that I'm better protected then people that just wear pants with no knee protection. I highly recommend calling Brad. He'll go into great detail and can tell you a lot of info about the braces and other braces. He also knows a lot about knee conditions and rehab. The customer service at Asterisk is top notch!! I actually rode with one of the designers this weekend and he offered to take my braces in and refurbish them with some newer parts that weren't around when I got mine. (I picked them up from the factory the 1st day they were available to public) He's getting them repainted and everything. They don't need any work he's just updating them with newer designed stuff that they are using. He said they are continually updating them with not really different designed stuff but more better ergonomic stuff.
No, I don't work for Asterisk, I just love the product and can't believe I ever rode without them. Look on www.dirtrider.net there is a knee brace review on there and if you search for the user name "Billywho" he is the designer that I rode with the other day and has talked a ton about the braces and probably answered tons of questions you have. You'll also find some of this regurgitated on that board.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• crazyadam

Posted September 18, 2001 - 03:50 AM

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!! now if I can only talk the girlfriend into a nice BIG birthday present for me!! It might work... she just got an XT125.. and she loves it! She has been out with me a few times already!LIFE IS GOOD!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirhk

Posted September 18, 2001 - 07:29 AM

You won't regret getting a pair of braces. I wear mine when I go dirt jumping on my bicycle, ride my dirt bike, or even under my pants out at clubs on my bad knee cause I've blown it out doing the stupidest things!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• YZR426

Posted September 18, 2001 - 05:31 PM

I have a pair of Asterisks and they were worth there wait in gold!
I have had a few race days since purchasing them and you do feel more confident.
I have busted both of my knees and really wish that I had "woken up sooner".
You can do alot of searching on the net for knee braces but most of the guys that have are using Asterisks!!
Good luck ( I bought mine through MX South talk to Jeff )

------------------
Because golf courses can be MX tracks! :)

[This message has been edited by YZR426 (edited September 18, 2001).]

• kfrosty

Posted September 28, 2001 - 08:27 AM

Just curious, I've seen all the praises for knee braces. I researched and came to the conclusion that the Asterisk's were the best for the money. I ordered a pair and got them adjusted and they just made me feel so immobile I was more worried about injuring my back or something from being so stiff legged in a crash. I mean I adjusted the knee braces every which way I could and at best I felt like frankenstien. Then when getting on the bike it was a task to start it and after a half of lap I didn't even want to take the chance of tumbling because of the total body flexibility I lost. Has anybody else that has tried knee braces went through that problem?

I've talked to some "experts" on-line and there are different opinions whether to wear them if you have never had problems.

With all that said, the Asterisks were a good quality knee brace. Also, after I was able to return them without any problems for a full refund. If I ever have a problem that required a knee brace I think I would go with them again.

• sirhk

Posted September 28, 2001 - 09:59 PM

That's the first I've heard of that. The only time I notice any immobility problems is when I set the extension limiters to keep my leg from straightening. Other then when it hits the stoping cable if I'm using it I can't even tell they're on. Did you talk to Brad or Billy at Asterisk about your problem or did you just return them? If you talked to them what did they say? I think a healthy knee with strong leg muscles is enough support in most circumstances but most of us aren't professional trainers and perfect riders so I think most people are turning to them as protective equipment. Trust me once you've gone through an ACL surgery you'll do anything to have to keep from doing it again. Unfortunately I get to though!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.