where to store battery over winter season

4 replies to this topic
  • new2blu

Posted October 26, 2003 - 05:29 PM

The WR is my first bike with a battery.
I was wondering if I should buy a battery tender and store the battery in the garage (removed from the bike)and constantly hooked up to the batt. tender.
Or should I remove the batt. and leave it inside the house without charging it until spring? :)

• bibbs

Posted October 26, 2003 - 07:38 PM

I live in Canada and was told to take the battery out and keep it somewhere warm on a piece of cardboard and either put it on a trickle charger once a month or keep it hooked up to a battery tender.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted October 27, 2003 - 03:47 AM

bring it in the house, DO NOT LEAVE IT ON CONCRETE. Stick a trickle charger (2 amp) once per month for (30 minutes??)

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted October 27, 2003 - 06:30 AM

I leave mine in the battery tray so all I have to do is push the button and I'm off and riding. :) Seriously, winter is the best time time to ride.

• IBS007

Posted October 28, 2003 - 02:41 PM

It just so happens I am an expert in this field. I own an Interstate Battery distributorship and I deal with those types of questions everyday. With a small battery like yours maintaining your battery is critical to the longevity of your battery. batties self discharge 13% a month so you need to charge your battery monthly. A battery tender is the best way to do this, all you have to do is hook it up and forget about it. I do this exact thing to all of my seasonal toys and I never have battery problems. Of course I also have great batteries in my toys! lol.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.