Show us your Dual Sport kit.

15 replies to this topic
  • chatchie

Posted June 04, 2012 - 05:56 PM

I'm really undecided on what kit to get for my 05 450. The Baja kit is nice but it's way expensive. I'd probably go with the Tusk kit but I like the look of the 07+ tail light.

What do you guys run?

• n16ht5

Posted June 04, 2012 - 07:50 PM

FAIL.

http://www.thumperta...conversion-kit/

• Alpha One Nine

Posted June 04, 2012 - 09:01 PM

My 05 with the tusk kit installed. I used the stock fender/tail light and mirrors are off a Kawasaki.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have added a Vapor and relocated the GPS mount since these pics were taken.

• Rot Box

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Sorry no close ups but heres my two street legal dirt bikes from a long DS ride this weekend. My 02 WR426 with a Baja Designs kit with YZ plastics and my 02 TE570 with the Tusk kit. I run the Tusk kit solely off a battery (everything except for the headlight is battery only) and its been great. I like both kits a lot--I don't think you can go wrong with either of them :cry:

Posted Image

• pschiess

Posted June 06, 2012 - 12:50 PM

My 2007 WR450f with the Tusk kit installed. Very happy with the kit and easy to install. Only thing it did not have was a high beam indicator light which is required to pass the California light inspection. Got one from Radio Shak for $3. You can barely see it in the middle top of the speedo in the last picture. The silver canister on the back of the left brush guard is the container for the registration and insurance papers and a copy of my CA driver's licence. It is water proof weighs nothing and is held on by velcro so easy to detach if needed.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by pschiess, June 06, 2012 - 12:52 PM.

• chatchie

Posted June 06, 2012 - 06:46 PM

^ Nice. Seems like the tusk is a popular choice. I think I'm going to go with it too.

Are you guys running your headlights on the stock system or through the battery? I'd like to run an HID and have the ability to completley shut it off so I may run it DC from battery. Hopefully the stock stator can keep up the charge on the battery.

• tomerb

Posted June 06, 2012 - 09:45 PM

Check here he has a great kit!! Ryco Motorsports Inc. rycomoto@comcast.net

• Rocky739

Posted June 07, 2012 - 02:57 AM

I used the tusk, no pic as I'm not home right now. I left the headlamp on its original circuit and put the taillight, brake and horn on the battery. I used the polisport LED taillight with a YZ fender. Looks very clean as we don't need turn signals here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pschiess

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:09 AM

I used the tusk, no pic as I'm not home right now. I left the headlamp on its original circuit and put the taillight, brake and horn on the battery. I used the polisport LED taillight with a YZ fender. Looks very clean as we don't need turn signals here.

That is what I did also and works great. The headlight is a highlow beam stock so that works it is just not wired to a high low beam switch at the factory. I think the stock tail light is a dual filamant also but I used the one that came with the Tusk kit as it had a bit better mounting point for the license plate.

• Rocky739

Posted June 07, 2012 - 01:33 PM

Took a bit of brain power to make it all work but wasnt too bad and yes you could make the stock rear lamp work, rs 25 has even found the stock connector to add a brake wire without cutting the oe connectors but I liked the look of the YZ fender and extension.

• jackcbr600

Posted November 07, 2012 - 10:28 AM

My 05 with the tusk kit installed. I used the stock fender/tail light and mirrors are off a Kawasaki.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have added a Vapor and relocated the GPS mount since these pics were taken.

Do you have everything powered off the ac power or did you convert it to dc?

• Bandit9

Posted November 07, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Here is my set up. It has the TrickDual Sport Control Box behind the headlight. The blinkers I picked up from Cyclegear.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Bandit9

Posted November 07, 2012 - 07:34 PM

The little brackets for the front signals I got from DRC. The rear signals came with the Trick DS kit.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Bandit9

Posted November 07, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Control switch is big, I will be getting the thinner one that is out there. I had to move the kill button to the right side of bars.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Bandit9

Posted November 07, 2012 - 07:46 PM

My kit is pretty low profile. I didn't need the signals, but I'm going to do more riding around town, so didn't want to give 5/0 a reason to stop me.

I have a Clarke 3.6gal tank and a big rear fender pack I throw on it when I hit the mountains. I keep the stock tank on it for in state stuff.

Check out how fat the stock YZF header is. Bike rips and is a blast to ride mountain and fire roads on.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Bandit9

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:11 PM

Uncompagre NF, just west of Montrose. I have since sold the Natural tank for a Black one. Next time it's all dressed out for a long ride, I'll take some pics of it loaded down. I have some Wolf saddle bags coming and I'm still cleaning up the spare set of hubs I bought to make my 2nd wheel set with Black Excels for soft terrain Enduro stuff. Also my .48 and 6.0 springs are too soft with the big tank, fender pack, and 30lb Moose backpack all loaded out. I'm having my tuner go with .50 and 6.2. It got squirrelly in the soft loose dirt at the base of a climbs where the trucks would hit the throttle to accerlerate up the hills. Don't like squirrelly at 45-55mph on gravel.

I ended up giving the YZ SSS forks I bought to my tuner in exchange for revalving and rebuilding the stock stuff. I'm still suffering from my broken Sacrum/Tail bone, no racing anytime soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Bandit9, November 07, 2012 - 08:15 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.