I had one of those "DOH!" moments yesterday.....

8 replies to this topic
  • WR450FGreg

Posted June 03, 2012 - 07:49 PM

I decided to check the valve clearances on my '08 WR450F yesterday.

It was all going well until I took the first cam cover off.....

Now, a disclaimer: I had a rag in the well to stop things falling down into the crankcase, but it wasn't quite big enough. There was a small gap I hadn't covered.

Off came the cam cover, no problem ......and out dropped the cam bearing locating ring, straight down through that little gap I hadn't covered and into the crankcase!
I got a torch and couldn't see the (half) ring down there anywhere.

DOH!!!

I immediately turned the bike upside down (oil poured out everywhere but i didn't care) and started shaking the bike as best I could, striking the crankcase with a rubber mallet at times too.

The gods must have been smiling down on me because after a minute or so I heard "ting" as the ring dropped out onto the workshop floor!

What a relief!

Lesson learnt: Make sure the entire area is filled by the rag next time!

Greg

• pdivizzle

Posted June 03, 2012 - 08:08 PM

damn that must have made your butthole clench pretty damn tight.

Glad you found it!

• n16ht5

Posted June 03, 2012 - 10:57 PM

Go buy a lotto ticket tomorrow!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 04, 2012 - 08:44 AM

I decided to check the valve clearances on my '08 WR450F yesterday.

It was all going well until I took the first cam cover off.....

Now, a disclaimer: I had a rag in the well to stop things falling down into the crankcase, but it wasn't quite big enough. There was a small gap I hadn't covered.

Off came the cam cover, no problem ......and out dropped the cam bearing locating ring, straight down through that little gap I hadn't covered and into the crankcase!
I got a torch and couldn't see the (half) ring down there anywhere.

DOH!!!

I immediately turned the bike upside down (oil poured out everywhere but i didn't care) and started shaking the bike as best I could, striking the crankcase with a rubber mallet at times too.

The gods must have been smiling down on me because after a minute or so I heard "ting" as the ring dropped out onto the workshop floor!

What a relief!

Lesson learnt: Make sure the entire area is filled by the rag next time!

Greg

Many of us have learned that lesson. When I dropped my cam ring down the hole, I used a magnet to pull it out. I think I got lucky. Nowadays, when I take my cam covers off now, I have my magnet right there to catch that ring. It works so well, I don't use the rag anymore.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rot Box

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:47 AM

Many of us have learned that lesson.

I was thinking the same thing. I remember my first time I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a beat :cry:

• GlennR

Posted June 04, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Glad to hear you got it back out.

But.....I'm wondering if I checked my valves correctly. I just pulled the valve cover, set the piston to TDC and slid the feeler gauge under the cam. I didn't pull any parts off. It seemed to measure within specs and I was happy, but now I'm hoping that I did it right? You only pull the bearing caps if you need to change shims, right?

• dirtbikekid32

Posted June 04, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Glad to hear you got it back out.

But.....I'm wondering if I checked my valves correctly. I just pulled the valve cover, set the piston to TDC and slid the feeler gauge under the cam. I didn't pull any parts off. It seemed to measure within specs and I was happy, but now I'm hoping that I did it right? You only pull the bearing caps if you need to change shims, right?

Only pull the cams to change shims, that is correct, no need to pull them to just check clearance.. Snds to me like you did it right..

• WR450FGreg

Posted June 04, 2012 - 11:52 PM

Just to clarify....

I had checked the clearances prior to pulling the caps, yes.
I needed to change a few shims.

I don't know what you guys use to pull the buckets and shims up off the valves, but I have found that a rare-earth magnet on a steel rod works a treat.
It lifts the bucket and shim in one lift.

Greg

• GlennR

Posted June 05, 2012 - 04:12 AM

Just to clarify....

I had checked the clearances prior to pulling the caps, yes.
I needed to change a few shims.

I don't know what you guys use to pull the buckets and shims up off the valves, but I have found that a rare-earth magnet on a steel rod works a treat.
It lifts the bucket and shim in one lift.

Greg

I'd sort of assumed that you had checked them first and then needed to shim them, but since you didn't actually say it that way I'd figured I should ask to be sure. (I didn't want to assume I'd done it right, when I'd actually done it wrong. )

There's probably a fancy $$$ special tool for removing the caps & shims, that is just a strong "magnet on a stick" ....with a very nice handle! :cry: Good tip. I like those strong little magnets too. They really come in handy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.