09 450 Knocking noise sometimes

7 replies to this topic
  • Bigdong

Posted June 02, 2012 - 11:29 AM

I keep getting a loud knocking noise every now and then when im racing from the front of the bike/engine area that i cant seem to pinpoint, I cant get it to do it when its ticking over and only seems to be when im in a higher gear and the engine is straining slightly with the torque. Ive checked everything on the outside of the bike but cant find anything loose. Its about the second hour on a new piston.

The knock is a solid knock but im finding it hard to locate since it only rears its head when im driving at certain times.
Has anyone else had a similar problem or any ideas on what could cause this?So far im pretty convinced its the big end but dont want to split cases yet since ive only been out twice on it :cry:

Edited by Bigdong, June 02, 2012 - 02:15 PM.

• honda424

Posted June 02, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Could be a hot ping, your valves, piston slap, could be your crank bearings..

• gscx

Posted June 02, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Check to see if your nut that screws to the crank is loose on the clutch side ( I forget what it is called). This same stuff happened to me before and that was the problem.

• Bigdong

Posted June 03, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Took flywheeel cover off and sound is a definate knocking when pulling flywheel from side to side, theres no up and down movement so im hoping bearings are good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bigdong

Posted June 04, 2012 - 08:07 AM

Took flywheeel cover off and sound is a definate knocking when pulling flywheel from side to side, theres no up and down movement so im hoping bearings are good.

Anyone know if yz s make this clunk noise normally when pulling at the flywheel?

• Bigdong

Posted June 19, 2012 - 11:45 AM

Still stuck with this issue, not sure if this is normal or not.

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yes, it's normal. It's the axial play in the right side main bearing that you're seeing.

• Bigdong

Posted June 20, 2012 - 11:58 AM

Thx,

I can look elsewhere for my problems then =p

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.