Low charging voltage on 08 WR450

5 replies to this topic
  • Ariel101

Posted June 02, 2012 - 08:11 AM

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color=#282828]I get 13.5V on the battery on idle. as its marginal low, i assume its [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]probably a bad connection or bad wire. I[/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color=#282828] would like to run connections directly from the RR with new wire to the battery. I had this done on my DRZ400 in the past and it added 1-1.5 volts to my charging circuit. In the DRZ400-S it involved cutting the old connection and adding fuse to the new one. is there any DIY [/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]instruction[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] where i can follow this mod on the WR450. Thanks.[/font][/color]

• MANIAC998

Posted June 03, 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hmmmm..... don't know if there is a DIY or not. Are you having starting issues? Did you do a search and see if anything came up regarding the direct wiring of the charging circuit?
Maniac

• Ariel101

Posted June 03, 2012 - 09:59 AM

Once in while its seems that the starter has hard time cranking, in such case I use the kick just to move the piston to an easy point to start. Probably its an indication that the battery is charged a bit low. But other than that no starting issues or any other electrical problems. The only changes i done with my electrical system is adding a fan (long time ago) and replaced the battery to TurnTech (Lithium) few months ago. Generally the bike is doing ok. I'm trying to avoid any future problem and get that fixed before battery dies. Today i cleaned all electrical connectors but stil got 13.5V. I've searched for this mod and came up with nothing. Strange, as I know its a common fix. I will need to measure the stator voltages and exclude it as the root cause.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted June 04, 2012 - 03:43 AM

Let us know how the stator checks out, and we'll go from there!
Maniac

• dirtbikekid32

Posted June 04, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Once in while its seems that the starter has hard time cranking, in such case I use the kick just to move the piston to an easy point to start. Probably its an indication that the battery is charged a bit low. But other than that no starting issues or any other electrical problems. The only changes i done with my electrical system is adding a fan (long time ago) and replaced the battery to TurnTech (Lithium) few months ago. Generally the bike is doing ok. I'm trying to avoid any future problem and get that fixed before battery dies. Today i cleaned all electrical connectors but stil got 13.5V. I've searched for this mod and came up with nothing. Strange, as I know its a common fix. I will need to measure the stator voltages and exclude it as the root cause.

Why do you think 13.5 is low charging voltage??? i think thats a tad on the low side according to the book specs but that should charge a battery just fine.. A few of the YFZ quads ive worked on charge at 12.9 or so.. I know that seems low, but as the throttle is held between 1/4 and half throttle, the voltage slowly creeps up.. Ive watched it on my meter a few times at work..

Edited by dirtbikekid32, June 04, 2012 - 09:51 PM.

• Ariel101

Posted July 07, 2012 - 03:52 AM

I measured the stator AC output today. The voltage between each of the two wires (yellow and while wires) on the connector going to the Rectifier/Regulator and ground. One gave a 16 VAC reading (looks good), the other gave 11.5 VAC. This low voltage can explain the low charging voltage i'm getting. the only question i have, does it make sense to have partial voltage out of the stator. i would figure its either working or not. that is if the wire inside the stator is burned, you would get 0 VAC out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.