XR400R Tank Graphics

6 replies to this topic
  • dmrogers

Posted May 31, 2012 - 05:03 PM

I'm looking for some tank decals for my '02 XR400. I haven't bought decals in YEARS!! I found this dealer on eBay.

Where do you fellas get your decals from?

I'm thinking about doing the bike up in white plastic maybe this winter, but I want to keep the red plastic too. The plastic is in really good shape except for the tank, however with decals it is fine. When I bought the bike, it had some butt ugly tank graphics, I just had to take them off. I prefer graphics like the ones in the link above.

So, if you know where I can get a good deal on graphics, please let me know.

Edited by dmrogers, June 01, 2012 - 03:35 AM.

• nitris223

Posted June 01, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Looks like the average price, some guys are a little higher. What I like is that he had a descent shipping price for Canadians. $ 7.50 to Canada , most others want $22 or more for shipping to Canada.

• wallrat

Posted June 02, 2012 - 07:07 AM

I got that same decal from RMATV. Held up well for the 2-3 years I had it on my clarke tank. Ended up getting a different colored tank so can't tell you what condition its still in. RMATV was cheaper:

http://www.rockymoun...Graphics-Decals

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dmrogers

Posted June 03, 2012 - 11:15 AM

I got that same decal from RMATV. Held up well for the 2-3 years I had it on my clarke tank. Ended up getting a different colored tank so can't tell you what condition its still in. RMATV was cheaper:

http://www.rockymoun...Graphics-Decals

Thanks! Yeah, I looked them up Saturday on Rockymountain. Don't know why I didn't think of them sooner. I guess I was thinking that no one would actually have graphics for the XR's anymore.

• Red Dog

Posted June 04, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Putting graphics on almost any plastic tank is a waste of money unless you like the lumpy bubble effect. I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, but if you must have something on your tank, you will be much happier with a tank cover. I've put graphics on my XR's tank from 3 different manufacturers (Factory Effex, N Style, and Ceet) always hoping that the next one wiil hold up and not look like crap, yet all of them were bubbling within a week. The money I spent on them certainly would have served me better had it been spent it on fresh tires, a new chain, or any number of functional things for example. But the bottom line is, it's your bike and your choice.

• wallrat

Posted June 04, 2012 - 09:28 AM

Sounds like a tank prep problem to me. That kit the OP is looking at went on a tank that was several years old and the only thing I'd done is thoroughly cleaned it with a rag soaked in isopropyl alcohol. I applied the graphic using regular windex. You say you had a graphic from the same manufacturer and it lasted a week.

That's not to say that I don't agree that tank covers aren't a good way to go if you have that option. I don't know of any covers for an aftermarket oversized tank like I have. For stock a cover might last longer than graphics IDK. I think anything on a tank has a finite life, be it from bubbling, UV, or a crash - which is why its so ridiculous that companies charge $200 for a graphics kit...

Edited by wallrat, June 04, 2012 - 09:32 AM.

• dmrogers

Posted June 04, 2012 - 11:47 AM

Putting graphics on almost any plastic tank is a waste of money unless you like the lumpy bubble effect. I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, but if you must have something on your tank, you will be much happier with a tank cover. I've put graphics on my XR's tank from 3 different manufacturers (Factory Effex, N Style, and Ceet) always hoping that the next one wiil hold up and not look like crap, yet all of them were bubbling within a week. The money I spent on them certainly would have served me better had it been spent it on fresh tires, a new chain, or any number of functional things for example. But the bottom line is, it's your bike and your choice.

I would happily consider a tank cover if you could point me to someone that sells them. I had one on my Yamaha IT250 and really liked it. I could only find one seller, on eBay, and I believe it was in another country. I didn't really like the design anyway.

I have never had any issues installing or keeping graphics on my bike. Even the One Industries that I just took off was on the bike since I purchased it, and that was four year ago.

I would also consider going without tank graphics if the tank didn't have a couple of gouges in it. I figured it would be easier to cover it up with some good graphics...........

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New to me 99 XR 400 by wickedinhere

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • Hot  69 replies
Forums
Photo

Kevin's XR400 FAQ by Kev_XR

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

The beginning of my rebuild 96 xr250r by Madmike84

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

XR250 Questions/Comparison Thread? by RobbieMac

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Unexpected lean XR400...confused. by blackavenger

• Hot  25 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.