Ohlins front forks and shock

8 replies to this topic
  • honda907

Posted May 31, 2012 - 04:24 PM

Anyone ever use or purchase Ohlins TTX forks and shock? I am looking for info if you have personal info on it. Not something you heard about it.

I see they are doing well in Europe on the Yamaha's. I have a Yamaha 450, and I am thinking of purchasing a set next week. They look relatively easy to service and look like they have all the upgrades. I believe the package with the coatings, cost about the same as KYB components with valving, springs and coating, so the price seems reasonable, and I will have a spare set of suspension..

• HRC

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:38 PM

I've used alot Ohlins stuff on my Honda's and mostly been very very happy with it.

Last year I had the Ohlins TTX shock on my -11 Yz450F and was happy with it in the beginning but after 15 hours it started to feel strange. My Ohlins serviceguy did a service to it but still after that it never felt really as good as it was when new. Faded very fast and did not react to clickers as it did when new.

Since Ohlins started with this TTX thing I haven't really been as a big of a fan as I was before.

I haven't tried or seen any 2012 stuff in person , so can't comment on that. But Ohlins is supporting some of the factory Yamaha guys in Europe so they should get alot of feedback and knowledge to produce good stuff for the yz450f.

Personally I think the Yamaha stock KYB SSS suspension is one of the best stock suspensions out there. A really really good base to start from. Send to a good suspension guy and you will be happy with it.

But ofcourse the Ohlins stuff is cooler and nicer to look at.

I dont know what level you are on or how much suspension experience you have but many people think that if you buy a Ohlins suspension and set everything up for your weight and measure sag everything will be perfect ! But its not as easy...the Ohlins suspension is an awesome base to build from but as any suspension you need to work on it and try different settings before it really gets to that super level. I remember back in 2008 I had Ohlins fork and shock on my -08 crf450 and worked on it alot, and when I found that special setting I was in heaven ! By far the best suspension I've ever had !

• honda907

Posted May 31, 2012 - 11:59 PM

I think Yamaha SSS is very good myself. I am looking for tuneability, something I find lacking in the Yamaha stuff. I cannot go from a nasty rocky HS and do big jumps with it. It is either or.

Plus, it seems that the Ohlins makes the bike track even straighter and bettter, from down the straight, to through the turn.

I read in MXA a few months ago, that the stuff is good on a YZ 450, but I wanted some real world experience. They are a lot of coin, but like I said, by the time you get the valving, springs, link and coatings on the stock stuff, they really are not any more money.

Oh, they make the shock like 2 mm shorter, so you get the same effect as the link, but the suspension is already set up for the flatter layout.

• HRC

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:31 AM

If you have the coins, try it ! The worst you can get is something on par with a stock suspension, the best is something like riding in heaven :-)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • honda907

Posted June 12, 2012 - 04:59 PM

I got the stuff last Friday. Took about 30 minutes to break in. Bikes steers better with forks. I havn' t really bottomed it yet. No metal clank anyhow. Rides firmer and higher in the stroke, but feels very planted.

I thought the bike turned well stock, but resisted sliding. Now it turns better and I can light up the rear like the 09.

Sent pics of my riding. With my weight and how I stand on the bike, we electred to forgo shortening the shock.

Haven't raced it, and that will be the true test. Ill take crapy stuff AND a win over Great stuff and a loss.

Edited by honda907, June 12, 2012 - 05:04 PM.

• Dead Eng Start

Posted June 18, 2012 - 04:16 PM

Ive got a 2010 yz 450 with drop ins for fork and the ohlins rear shock. I love them. I ride woods. They work well everywhere. I had a 09 yz 450 with ohlins on it also. I liked the 09 better i think. I get my stuff from a guy in NC. He use to work for ohlins. His prices are better than anywhere else..

Good luck

• honda907

Posted June 20, 2012 - 02:18 PM

Ive got a 2010 yz 450 with drop ins for fork and the ohlins rear shock. I love them. I ride woods. They work well everywhere. I had a 09 yz 450 with ohlins on it also. I liked the 09 better i think. I get my stuff from a guy in NC. He use to work for ohlins. His prices are better than anywhere else..

Good luck

David at Fast Bike Industries, the guy in western NC, set me up. Probably the same people.

• Stu2

Posted June 24, 2012 - 09:59 AM

I have an Ohlins ttx which I have used on a 2008 yz 250f I used to race cross country races, and its now on a 2010 yz 250 2t,

It is really good, untill I revalved my stock kayaba shock and added more rebound it was by far the best shock ive used,

I have a 2011 yz 450 with a reva;ved kyb shock and its close to the ttx but not as good

• joaquin1296

Posted March 12, 2013 - 01:33 AM

Bike: YZ450F 2012
Rider: 88 Kg with gear (194 punds)

I'm Running a TTX 44 Shock (YA1294 with a 56 N/mm spring) and the stock Kayaba SSS Fork with the 4.6 N/mm stock springs.

I have already ridden a for a year. Have not yet found a good set-up. It's difficult to really feel the difference. The Yamaha is a really sensible bike, to track, conditions and riding style. Everything has to be in good condition, the tires, the chain, the controls, the right handlebar... the RIDER condition.

Is it worth buying a Öhlins Shock? I cannot answer, but one thing is for sure, the stock KYB suspension offers a lot of possibilities and is as difficult to set up as it is with the Öhlins.

One thing I have learned, don't expect to put an Öhlins and that the bike behaves as you wish.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20120522_212644.jpg

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.