generator question

3 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted September 16, 2001 - 02:57 PM

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but this has to do with riding my YZF so maybe it's close enough. :)

Unbeknownst to my wife :D , I am planning on a new trailer. My biggest unknown is which generator to get. I need just enough for A/C, lights and an air compressor so I'm thinking of the 4k-watt range. The best feature/price/quality deal appears to be a Generac 4000XL model at home depo for $650 or so. Do any of you have experience with this brand (this one has the Generac brand motor on it) or do you have any recommendations? The Honda models look about the best, but they're very very expensive (2x as much for the same power and features). Let me know if this is too far off topic and I'll take this question elsewhere. I'll also welcome any tips for a trailer since this will be my first.

Thanks!!

• Hootie

Posted September 16, 2001 - 03:54 PM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
I hope this isn't too far off topic, but this has to do with riding my YZF so maybe it's close enough. :)

Unbeknownst to my wife :D , I am planning on a new trailer. My biggest unknown is which generator to get. I need just enough for A/C, lights and an air compressor so I'm thinking of the 4k-watt range. The best feature/price/quality deal appears to be a Generac 4000XL model at home depo for $650 or so. Do any of you have experience with this brand (this one has the Generac brand motor on it) or do you have any recommendations? The Honda models look about the best, but they're very very expensive (2x as much for the same power and features). Let me know if this is too far off topic and I'll take this question elsewhere. I'll also welcome any tips for a trailer since this will be my first.

Thanks!!

Well the generac WORKS GOOD BUT ARE A LITTLE LOUD BUT WILL DO THE JOB. THEY HAVE GOT THE NOISE LEVEL DOWN A BIT. BUT THE BEST FOR THE MONEY IS THE HONDA OR THE YAMAHA. THE HONDA EU3000 IS WISPER QUITE AND YOU CAN USE THEM ANYWHERE AND YOU CAN FIND THEM USED AT A GOOD PRICE. SO TAKE YOUR TIME AND LOOK FOR A GOOD DEAL.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wild_Bill

Posted September 16, 2001 - 06:48 PM

Sir---

You should be careful with which type of generator you get for your trailer. Most of the ones at Home Depot are the "contractor" type and are loud. I tried that type for camping for a while but didn't like the noise. So I bought an RV type. If you can find a quiet one at the H.D., Generac is OK. I got an actual RV Generac generator from Camping World and have had no problems with it for almost two years. Also, to get an idea of the decible(sound) level you should look for go to the Onan website. I saw what they spec theirs for. Some RV parks (if you plan to stay at any) have a maximum noise requirement too. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill (edited September 16, 2001).]

• Glen_T

Posted September 17, 2001 - 05:43 AM

You might keep an eye out for used Honda models. They seem to come up regularly in our local discount papers. I've seen honda 5000's for less than $800.00.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.