Is everyone using Yamaha S1 in their 2010/11 YZ450 forks?

3 replies to this topic
  • mfoti

Posted May 31, 2012 - 08:53 AM

I tried to do some searching and their did not seem to be any conclusive information on whether it is ok to substitute fork oils. I am not a racer.. just looking for something more cost effective.

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2012 - 09:00 AM

I never use Yamaha S1. It's far too expensive for what you get.

My own choice is 215.VM2.K5 from SMART Performance. It's a non-conventional, very high performance suspension fluid, but requires the internals of the suspension units to be thoroughly cleaned prior to using it, as it can react with some other conventional oils.

For what you're looking for, a conventional suspension oil, my first choice would be Amsoil "Shock Therapy". Following that, Motorex, Motul, Maxima, and other premium fork oils in 2.5 - 5wt will do the job for you for quite a bit less money. You'll need 2 qts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mfoti

Posted May 31, 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the information. I was going to put in the maxima 5wt. It seems to be priced right. I did not want to be guilty of trashing my YZ for the sake of saving a few dollars.

• RUSVD

Posted May 31, 2012 - 01:19 PM

I use maxima 5wt. :cry: You will be fine. No oil will thrash it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.