yz400f xc set up?

4 replies to this topic
  • dbrenize

Posted May 31, 2012 - 06:37 AM

i have a 1998 yz400f and i got it all dialed in and i would like to ride it on really tight trails, and i have to clutch it all the time i can barley keep it running because i am reving and riding the clutch all the time. im going 1 tooth smaller in the front, but what else can help me? also what does anyone else have on their 400/450's? im also thinking about fly wheel weights. let me know guys!

• RasmusDK

Posted May 31, 2012 - 09:39 AM

I use mine or enduro and have done this:

- 2008 450 carb (makes it easier to start and it runs way more smooth in tight stuff)
- 13/52 gearing + o-ring chain
- Rekluse (was damn hard to find since they stopped making them in 2008)
- WR400 cam timing
- WR250 rear brake master, I think it was from an 2010 (no more boiling fluid)
- WR250 foot pegs, they are smaller, not a perfect fit tho, from a 2010 too

The best of it was for sure the rekluse it has helped me tons of times, else just good tires and a lot of suspension tuning. I never got around to put any extra weight on my fly wheel but its a good idea iam sure of.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbrenize

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:28 AM

the carb is a little out of my price range at the moment. i looked and they are about 300 on ebay. im planning on the sprocket changes and if i can find fly wheel weights i will get them to, is a rekluse a clutch?

• RasmusDK

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:20 AM

Here is one for 200$ but you need the clutch perch and lever too, cause the hot start is on the handlebar..

http://www.ebay.com/...r#ht_1905wt_931

Yea a rekluse is an auto clutch.. EFM can make one for you, just google EFM clutches and write them, but they are 600$.. The weights I have seen is bolt or weld on, so I have just found a flywheel on ebay and iam gonna make the weight myself and weld it on, its basicly just a big steel washer.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2012 - 12:07 PM

Here is one for 200$ but you need the clutch perch and lever too, cause the hot start is on the handlebar..

http://www.ebay.com/...r#ht_1905wt_931

Yea a rekluse is an auto clutch.. EFM can make one for you, just google EFM clutches and write them, but they are 600$.. The weights I have seen is bolt or weld on, so I have just found a flywheel on ebay and iam gonna make the weight myself and weld it on, its basicly just a big steel washer.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.