Help with engine noise

5 replies to this topic
  • coxr650l

Posted May 30, 2012 - 05:29 PM

I was riding my 09 WR450 the other day on a very tough trail and it was constantly boiling over. After I was done with the trail I let it cool down and then continued to ride for about an hour with no problems.

I was going down a hill and a rock high centered the bike and it fell over and died (walking pace speed). I re-started the bike and there was a very loud clicking noise coming from the engine that was related directly to the RPM of the engine. Rode it for a few hundred feet and it ran fine except for the noise. I did not see any exterior damage and it sounded like the noise may have been louder on the left side???

I turned it off and coasted down the hill and there was no odd noises. WHen I was loading up I started it again and the noise was still there.

When I got home I tried starting the bike again and the noise was still there, but not as loud so may be related to engine temp? Several days later I pulled the skid plate and did not see any damage. Started the bike and it was still making the noise. It still sounded louder on the left side.

Drained the oil and no shaving etc, I pulled the stator cover and everything looked normal, normal under the valve cover and normal after pulling the clutch cover. I pulled right side of the clutch case (kick starter, water pump etc) and it look good. Primary drive and counter balancer nut were tight.

When turning the engine by hand I think I can hear a light ratteling noise, but its hard to tell.

The only thing that stood out, and I dont know if this is normal, is when pulling on the flywheel it slides in and out and there is about 1/16in of play.

Any ideas one what I should look at?

I plan on tearing everything down till I find a problem, but it would be nice to have an idea of what Im looking for.

thanks for any help.

• Stealth13

Posted May 30, 2012 - 09:21 PM

I doubt you hurt it from overheating, I had mine in rush hour traffic spit out all the coolant and then turn off by itself and not start back up. I waited 15 mins and fired it up and it ran fine again.

• Mtn-Track

Posted May 31, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Did you fall on the left side?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • coxr650l

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:55 AM

Yes, I think it did go down on the left side.

Did you fall on the left side?

• Mtn-Track

Posted May 31, 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hmmm. If it's louder when it's warmed-up then whatever is causing the ticking is probably running in oil. If there aren't any dents in the case, the noise didn't exist prior to the fall, no contact marks on the inside of the covers, and all else you looked at is OK, then maybe you chipped a gear tooth in the hit/fall(?). I'd pull the spark plug, drain the oil, then turn it over by hand and listen for the ticking again....

Edited by Mtn-Track, May 31, 2012 - 08:38 AM.

• coxr650l

Posted May 31, 2012 - 09:33 AM

Ya Im kind of worried it may be related to the tranny. I did turn it over by hand and I I think there is a clicking noise, but its really hard to tell.

THanks for the replies.

Hmmm. If it's louder when it's warmed-up then whatever is causing the ticking is probably running in oil. If there aren't any dents in the case, the noise didn't exist prior to the fall, no contact marks on the inside of the covers, and all else you looked at is OK, then maybe you chipped a gear tooth in the hit/fall(?). I'd pull the spark plug, drain the oil, then turn it over by hand and listen for the ticking again....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.