Exhaust wrap?

6 replies to this topic
  • bikedude987

Posted May 30, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Sorry if this has been covered.

2005 wr450.

The exhaust is quite hot (i'm used to a drz400 where you will never feel the exhaust), and want to protect both the radiator and shock resevoir as well as my leg.
Jetting aside (it's rich right now and still quite hot), what are some negatives to usig a header wrap on the pipe? I would go at lease to the rear shock, probable all the way to the muffler . This system is Ti, so no rust, correct? The only thing I can think of happening is burning out the muffler or surrounding area because it will be getting more heat. But it is a baffle design, so no worries?

Thanks!

• trailhead2004

Posted May 30, 2012 - 12:57 PM

'08 WR, stock exhaust. I was cleaning it up the other day to sell and pulled the fiberglass wrap off and the pipe seems fine. Just cleaned it up with a little Scotchbright.

As far as the heat, I only did the area under the shock reservoir. However, in your case, being in Arizona could lead to more heat pretty easily. All I know is that I only overheated the bike in some pretty extreme situations. Places where you might expect it to overheat anyway so I don't think any of it was caused by not wrapping the header just outside the head.

One thought on doing that though. It might lead to more backfiring, especially if you're running a little rich.

Just my two cents.

HTH

trailhead :cry:

• bikedude987

Posted May 30, 2012 - 01:19 PM

'08 WR, stock exhaust. I was cleaning it up the other day to sell and pulled the fiberglass wrap off and the pipe seems fine. Just cleaned it up with a little Scotchbright.

As far as the heat, I only did the area under the shock reservoir. However, in your case, being in Arizona could lead to more heat pretty easily. All I know is that I only overheated the bike in some pretty extreme situations. Places where you might expect it to overheat anyway so I don't think any of it was caused by not wrapping the header just outside the head.

One thought on doing that though. It might lead to more backfiring, especially if you're running a little rich.

Just my two cents.

HTH

trailhead :cry:

well, the rich part will be getting fixed soon enough... but i'm glad to hear it held up fine. And about getting hot...only part of the year. there are usually a few good snow rides as well. (Flagstaff area after all.)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • E4x4Eric

Posted August 26, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Do we have anymore info on this? I'd like to wrap the header part under the radiator and the shock reservoir.

• bikedude987

Posted August 27, 2012 - 07:11 AM

So, update. I can't tell that it's any cooler, frankly it seems hotter. add that to the fact that it's already started to shred, and it collects mud and dirt like a motherf*^cker and that I cut the shi& out of my finger on one of the stainless zip ties that you can never get quite tight ans I would NOT recomment doing this.

A true offset sheet metal or carbon heat shield would be MILES ahead on keeping things cool and clean.

• mtahoe

Posted August 27, 2012 - 07:19 AM

Wrap is designed to keep heat in for performance, thats why we do it on the snowmobiles .

• William1

Posted August 27, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Wrap on a bike is generally a bad idea.
Heat shields or higher speeds instead.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.