For 2003, CRF450 or YZF450 that is the question

7 replies to this topic
  • reed_YZ426

Posted September 15, 2001 - 04:51 PM

i know im getting WAY WAY WAY ahead of myself. but if you all had the choice which would you go for. a YZF450 or CRF450?(2003) ive heard alot of you talk about yamaha's bad customer service how they wont help anyone. but ive heard great things about honda's which really makes you want to buy there product. anyway im just seeing what you all would do. i know once 2003 hits im going to be a happy camper. sell my 2001 yz426 and get me a brand new 2003 yzf450 or crf450. depending on how the honda does this year. and as for yamaha depending on if they come out with the 450. and its equaly weight to the honda or lighter. i already know the CRF will have an awesome powerband so that makes me kinda want to get it! all of you who have one coming to you. tell us how you like it. pros and cons! RIDE HARD GUYS!

• G-Man

Posted September 15, 2001 - 06:42 PM

yep I'm kinda in the same boat. Having been a Honda man for years (owned 10), until this yr (with no regrets) it wouldn't bother me to go back. Honda things I miss, are the hardware is better, as is the plastic. Plus they seem to keep the fresh look better. These YZ's tend to get the aged look faster. Honda reliablity is tops in my opinion.

I will wait to see how the 450 pans out, but I do know I sure would like my 01 426 to be lighter, that is the only real gripe I have.

------------------
Moto to Live
Live to Moto

http://www.geocities.com/gmann_3000/

G-Man

• reed_YZ426

Posted September 15, 2001 - 06:59 PM

i know what you mean. thats why im thinking about Going Honda for the FIRST TIME EVER. in 2003, unless yamaha can really impress me then im going honda. they treat customers better and seem to be the most reliable in my opinion. not that i dont like my 01 yz426 i LOVE it. ill be sticking with 4strokes for the rest of my life now. i checked and oversea's theyve got a YZ500FM. weighing in at 230LBS. but its basically like a works bike so im sure it will weigh alot more than that. if yamaha doesnt make there bike the same weight or lighter than the CRF450. then im going Red for 2003. anyone else want to share your thoughts/opinons? this is just something to talk about if you have nothing better to do lol like me

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 16, 2001 - 06:05 AM

The YZ has plenty of power and a perfect powerband for the tracks that I ride and the suspension is unbeatable. I've had hondas in the past and they have been excellent as well. If the product is equal (or close to equal) then I would go Honda because their support seems to be better. If the YZ only differed by a few pounds (hell my boots weigh at least 10 pounds!) then the weight alone isn't enough to sway me. If the CRF is in the same league performance wise to the YZ then the support would be enough to sway me. I don't think I'm going to sell my new YZF to get a CRF at this point, but when my YZF needs to be replaced I will definitely be shopping around. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 19, 2001 - 06:08 PM

If we are all so concerned about the xtra couple of LBS. then wouldn't it be easier to eat a couple of SlimFasts instead of ice cream and beers for a week or two.
Seems to be quicker and easier than gettin' Yammy to drop the 15lbs.!!!!
Sure the wt drop would be great but I aint touchin the red bike for at least a yr!
And I have owned exclusively Honda till my 95 yz 250 then my 400F.
Xr's Cr' CBR's 250's 350' 600's and 900's
Until Yammy proves to me that they cant take the BEATIN' then I am stayin BLUE!
...............rather yella!

------------------
Nope BOY, That's not THUNDER ridin your butt, It is a whole damn HURRICANE!!!!G4

• no_thump

Posted September 23, 2001 - 02:35 PM

ricky carmichael is sure talking good things about the honda cr. ricky also has the 450 available if he wishes to ride it in the nationals. if ricky is on the 450 this spring, well that says it all!!! so what if honda pays him 2 million. well maybe that does matter!! looking forward to january to see how mc and rc do!

i still personally thick the yz 426 will kill cr 450. why?, look what it did for tim ferry!! look what it did for jimmy button!! look what it did for doug henry!!! yz 4 stroke wins races. the riders who win on it; well, they were not really up and coming riders.

look what the cr 450 did for rhyno. rhyno could of done much better on a 2 stroke. to me it looks like the cr 450 can not handle the narly 2 stroke sections.

Originally posted by reed YZ426:
i know im getting WAY WAY WAY ahead of myself. but if you all had the choice which would you go for. a YZF450 or CRF450?(2003) ive heard alot of you talk about yamaha's bad customer service how they wont help anyone. but ive heard great things about honda's which really makes you want to buy there product. anyway im just seeing what you all would do. i know once 2003 hits im going to be a happy camper. sell my 2001 yz426 and get me a brand new 2003 yzf450 or crf450. depending on how the honda does this year. and as for yamaha depending on if they come out with the 450. and its equaly weight to the honda or lighter. i already know the CRF will have an awesome powerband so that makes me kinda want to get it! all of you who have one coming to you. tell us how you like it. pros and cons! RIDE HARD GUYS!

• nozzlejockey

Posted September 25, 2001 - 03:44 PM

Buy the Honda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a new 01' 426 six months ago and the oil pump went bad and yamaha told me to stick it. Their customer service sucks! Honda will stand behind their product and that is probably why it took so long for them to put it into production. They wanted to build a bike that when you spend six grand you won't have to spend 1500.00 six months later. sorry for the juvinille tone but I am still pissed.
I thought the first brand new bike I bought would run for more that six @#*&#@! months....

• Vic

Posted September 29, 2001 - 08:15 AM

Has anyone thought of taking Yamaha to
(Small Claim Court, Magistrates Court or what ever you all have in your State)

Just and idea, and it would be great to hear the outcome since it's very inexpensive to file papers to get them there.

Don't just bitch about it, do something!

Vic.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.