wr426 high idle

12 replies to this topic
  • jonesy383

Posted May 29, 2012 - 12:29 AM

just bought this bike it has $765 of receipts just done to it to correct the high idle in which the shop didnt succeed, when i rev it sometimes it takes 5-10sec before it will return to idle and sometimes doesnt return at all. i am uncertain on exactly what they did but can anyone suggest anything it could be? the carby was cleaned and all adjusted, when i also give it full revs it crackles a bit and backfires on de-excel. any help would be great cheers.

Edited by jonesy383, May 29, 2012 - 12:30 AM.

• GEOF

Posted May 29, 2012 - 12:41 AM

Could have an air leak in the intake, is your exhaust bolted up okay? What is the timing like can you check this. Check the air filter to ensure it is clean and re oiled.

• jonesy383

Posted May 29, 2012 - 12:49 AM

yeh exhaust is bolted up ok, theres a few lines running from the carby into the air box, and theres a big black hose with a little filter on it inside the air box as well not sure if its all supposed to be there?

• GEOF

Posted May 29, 2012 - 02:49 AM

What about timing?

• RasmusDK

Posted May 29, 2012 - 02:58 AM

Check if the little o ring that seals around fuel screw is good, below that it needs a small washer. Its getting air from somewhere it shouldnt, an easy way to find it is with start spray, and spray gentley around the carb with the engine running, and listen if the rpm raises

• jcbikes

Posted May 29, 2012 - 05:37 AM

Check the carb boot from the carb to the cylinder for cracks. For sure an air leak.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonesy383

Posted May 29, 2012 - 11:26 PM

ok thanks guys i found a hairline crack in the rubber boot you are talking about jc. also it makes a crackling noise when i rev it and backfires a bit could this be the cause of it being tuned while it is leaking air through the rubber boot? will a new tune fix this after i repair the boot?

• byggd

Posted May 31, 2012 - 12:32 PM

Did you already read this?

http://www.thumperta...o-eliminate-it/

• jonesy383

Posted June 01, 2012 - 04:16 PM

yeh i did read that but i assumed after spending $700 at a shop this would have been adjusted lol, i might have a play around with it cheers

• byggd

Posted June 02, 2012 - 04:06 AM

First mechanic's rule ..... always assume any work that was done was done wrong.

• jonesy383

Posted June 02, 2012 - 10:10 PM

ok so heres my dilemma, when i screw the fuel screw all the way in the bike still runs ok. i need to unwind it all the way out for it to run sweet again (so much that i lost the fuel screw) so do i need to change my jets? i dont know much about carbys :/

• MANIAC998

Posted June 03, 2012 - 04:43 AM

You've got to fix that air leak first. You'll be chasing your tail, trying to no avail, if you try to tune the bike before fixing that air leak. After that, check out the stickies at the top of this forum. Lots of good info in there, that's what they are there for! After that, we'll help all we can to get that bike running perfect!!
Maniac

• jonesy383

Posted June 04, 2012 - 01:03 AM

i think the high idle was the cause of the pilot jet being too small. i went to a 45, 1-1/2 turns out and the bike is running sweet now :cry: there was no air leak, thanks eveyone for your help

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.