Keeping '03 YZ450F Cool When Woods Riding Slow Tight Trails?

6 replies to this topic
  • tls25rs

Posted May 28, 2012 - 06:38 PM

I have an '03 YZ450F that I use to trail ride, hare scrambles etc. and this past weekend I got into some reasonably tight technical trail and had some issues with the bike getting very warm, stalling out and then being difficult to get restarted. The bike also has a larger gas tank that shrouds the cylinder pretty much all the way around which I am sure doesn't help.

My best solution would probably be to just go faster through the trail to keep the air flowing better but until I get better at riding I'll likely have to do something else.

Hoping that some of you will have suggestions on how to keep my bike cooler while riding the slow and snotty trails.

Thanks,

Joel

• grayracer513

Posted May 28, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Switchable computer fans run off a battery are the most effective way to correct the lack of air flow at extremely low speeds.

• tls25rs

Posted May 29, 2012 - 04:27 AM

Something like that is what I was thinking about trying. Do you know of anyone that has done this on the YZ and written up a how to? The Husky board I go on for my Sumo has a pictorial for that bike and I was hoping someone might have something similar for the YZ. Worst case I figure I can use the thread on the Husky forum and modify whatever I need to for the YZ.

Thanks

Joel

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marv02

Posted May 29, 2012 - 04:46 AM

I had to do this on my KTM 560 RFS it would over heat whe not moving or in the slow stuff I had to install a Stator with a lighting coil to have power the fan.

Try some engine Ice and a over flow bottle helps also kep the coolent it and a higher pressure rad cap.

Over flow tank Link: http://www.rlrproducts.com/

Good luck

Switchable computer fans run off a battery are the most effective way to correct the lack of air flow at extremely low speeds.

• upnorthbacon

Posted May 29, 2012 - 02:21 PM

Engine ice lowered mine 30 degrees. All you do is drain the old and then run some distilled water, drain that then fill up with engine ice. I bought two 12v 3" fans from RadioShack because I couldn't fit a 4" under my braces on my 2011. I ran a toggle switch and in your case you could use an rc car battery do a google search it's pretty easy

• tls25rs

Posted May 29, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Joel

• thefickler

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:01 AM

I too had the same issues, but I was more worried about losing coolant out on the trail, so I made a homemade coolant catch bottle, and it works like a charm. Its not very bulky and it fits right behind my number plate. I still have the stock rad cap, but I don't need to worry about losing coolant out on the trail anymore at least.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.